Ballet Talk for Dancers

Care of dance bags

LauraR

My 10yo dd's dance bag smells like feet! Of course I expect this because she sticks her shoes in there after class, but there must be a better way. I don't want to put her leos or cover-ups or anything else in there for fear she'll smell like socks in class. :cool2: How does everyone else deal with shoes and bags? She's in class 4 days a week and has 3 different pairs of shoes that she carries around and stores in her bag.

Knock, knock - mom of an over 13. Give up! All ballet bags stink, dancer feet are icky, and a once a month wash of the bag/removal of all items for cleaning is the best you can do. If you watch the "big girls" before class, you will see liberal application of scented lotion, deoderant, perfume, maybe to cover up the smell? I know the smell seems overpowering to the rest of us, but these kids take off pointe shoes after class, and seem unaffected as they chat, snack, and enjoy each other. The odor seems to go with the activity.

Knock, knock - another over 13 parent.

I agree with dance1soccer1 about giving up. It didn't matter what I suggested or purchased, until DD decided she cared about the smell nothing changed. I have no idea what she does now but the bag has improved. She does have several different bags that seem to rotate through the front landing so maybe that is her solution.

Has anyone else had the experience that foot odor seemed to get especially bad at around 11-14, and diminished thereafter? I don't know if it's something hormonal, or just better hygiene kicking in, but both my girls followed this pattern. It wasn't just dance shoes or sneakers; the Teva sandals needed a thorough wash-down one summer to eliminate the smell.

Oh, absolutely. Once the hormones die down, the feet are WAY less stinky. So, those of you in the 10-14 age group, it WILL improve!

Well my daughter's feet don't smell yet because she's only 3 but I put her shoes in a shoe bag inside her dance bag. Alternatively could you perhaps use a bag with separate pockets? Side/end pockets for shoes and the main section for everything else?

I think the odor is unavoidable, even despite good hygiene. And kids are going to throw everything into their bag whatever way is quickest regardless of extra pockets, etc. My daughter rotates dance bags occasionally. We sometimes put a lavender drier sheet in the bag too. I think the key is to air everything out, especially during the summer months, and make sure that there aren't any soiled leotards, tights or socks left in the bag.

Guest pink tights

I have to say, it is topics such as this one that keep me tuned into BT4D!! Where else could we have this conversation?! And I'm so glad this topic came up, as it will remind to toss that disgusting bag in the wash!

During theater week and the week of DD's Nut run, I kept forgetting to buy dryer sheets...and that dance bag was extra stinky. So out of desperation, I tossed in a bar of scented soap, in it's tissue of course.

Once dancers get to pointe work, many use a separate mesh bag for the smelly things, to keep them from 'infecting' the rest of their dance gear. Sometimes they tie it to the larger bag and sometimes just carry it separately. This seems to be preferred over the mesh pockets that are features on some dance bags. I guess having it totally separate helps isolate the smell a bit! :)

Also, we don't buy any bags that are not machine washable. My daughter rotates them frequently and she dumps all the junk out and we put it through the wash to disinfect and start over again. She prefers the large printed cotton fabric satchels with zip tops that are popular with teens as sleepover bags. These are all cotton and carry lots of stuff, are lightweight, have long handles that make them easy to throw over her shoulder, can be washed easily and the printed fabric helps her bag stand out from the sea of black ones that litter the floor in the dressing room.

I found that an odor-killing item called Sneaker ###### works well in minimizing the odor in DD's dance bag.

You can find them in sporting goods stores. They are small round, colored ###### that come in pairs and last longer than dryer sheets. They make a great stocking stuffer! Happy Holidays!

2thepointe

I use these bags that are filled with the really good smelling flowers and stuff inside them and put that in my pointe shoes to absorb the odor. i ordered them from discountdance.com they reallly work!

A separate mesh bag for shoes, or a bag with an outside mesh pocket, is a great idea. To greatly reduce the odor, place a fabric softener sheet in each shoe when you take them off and leave one loose in the bag. Works wonders!

I never even thought about those sneaker ball things. What a great idea--and I love the idea of them being stocking stuffers. Thanks!

Thanks for all the suggestions! Her Nutcracker performances are over and classes are out until Jan 2nd, so I washed her bag and I'm searching out shoe storage ideas. We can't take the shoes out of the bag every day because then we have the problem of missing or forgotten shoes. When I posted, I was hoping this wasn't the most ridiculous question ever!