Ballet Talk for Dancers

Auditioning in London

Guest London Studio Dancer

Hello People

I just wanted to ask for some help and pointers about auditioning for dance school.

I've got an audition for the London Studio Centre, at King's Cross, on the 12th March 2007.

I've trained in Ballet (my prefered style being Cecchetti or Imperial), Jazz Theatre dance, Tap, Musical Theatre, Physical Theatre and done extensive training in Graham, Cunningham and Release-based Contemporary.

I was wondering if anybody had auditioned there before and could give me a run-through of the Ballet class - since i've taken some time out of my normal ballet classes and I actually HAVE forgotten what a plie looks like!!

And if anyone could give me some pointers about audition technique, I would be so indebted to you.

Thanks a lot

Alex.

If you have been out for so long as to have forgotten what a plié looks like, you in a heap o'trouble, and nothing we say here can save you.

If you have been out for so long as to have forgotten what a plié looks like, you in a heap o'trouble, and nothing we say here can save you.

Sorry Mel, I only meant it as a joke. I've been out of ballet classes for only a month now, and I start up again on the 11th January with ISTD Intermediate.

Sorry everyone if I gave you the wrong impression.

So is there anyone that can help???

Alex.

We have a regular, London Dance Scholar, who is from London Dance Centre. He's been in the US lately, but I wonder if he didn't go home for the holidays. Let's see what specific advice he can give.

Usually, an audition is just a straightforward class. Since you seem to have ISTD background, you'll recognize everything. Check to see if there is a school standard for dress, and make sure you follow it for the audition. Usually, it's best to fall back on the "plain-vanilla" of black/pink for the girls, and black/white for the men. It's sort of the "international uniform".

Hi

The ballet class will be pretty much what you're used to, barre, centre practise, adage, allegro, pirouettes etc - there may or may not be pointework so take your shoes. You'll need to be able to pick up the enchainements/combinations quickly and perform them well. Take into account the style of the music and reflect that in your performance. You're being judged on potential so don't look around at the others too much, even if someone looks better than you they may be poor in certain areas and you may show more potential overall. Don't get distracted, concentrate on learning the steps when they run through an exercise and if you make a mistake don't get disheartened - just show them how good you REALLY are - same advice as for an exam I guess! If they ask you to choreograph/improvise or even use your own arms try to be creative but make sure it's appropriate too.

The ballet class will probably be about intermediate standard so you should be OK and some applicants might not have done a lot of ballet before as the course covers various dance styles.

I don't think they have a uniform but I would go with a classically styled leotard with pink tights for the ballet class. You should change for the jazz and contemporary though as you'll probably be expected to dance in bare feet (if you haven't done that before you should start now as you'll need to toughen them up - or try foot thongs or something similar, they would probably be OK).

You'll probably be interviewed too so make sure you know why you want to do it, how you're going to support yourself, what your ambitions are etc and be prepared to sell yourself but also to be genuine. If you can try to give answers that they will like (as long as they're true of course) - like in a job interview, don't just say why you want to do it from a purely selfish point of view, say what you're prepared to put into it and how they will benefit from accepting you onto the course etc.

Hope that helps a bit. Good luck!

Hey gerlonda

I've already looked at the website, and it's a little sparse on the details. The info pak they sent through was so much more detailed about the classes.

I'm looking to do the 3-year BA (Hons) course at London Studio. I def gonna major in Music Theatre, but hopefully I'm gonna take one or two of the ballet options. I used to want ot be a ballet dance, but I'm too old now and I've only been training for 3 years now.

BTW, thanks everyone for getting back to me wth some stuff. And especially to CDR, thanks so much for the advice.

Bring on the audition!!

Edited by London Studio Dancer
We have a regular, London Dance Scholar, who is from London Dance Centre. He's been in the US lately, but I wonder if he didn't go home for the holidays. Let's see what specific advice he can give.

I am currently in the Bavarian Alps (Germany) with very limited internet access, but will get back to you (London Studio Dancer) after Jan 2. :yes:

Are you planning on auditioning for other programs as well?

Thanks Dance Scholar London.

The only other dance auditions I have are Bird College and Surrey Uni.

I'm also applying for some Musical Theatre course as well - I'm going to the Mountview Academy on the 5th January and then to GSA Conservatoire in Feb.

I've already been to ArtsEd, as I got really far in the audition process, but got rejected due to problems with sibilance.

You might want to check out Urdang Academy, they aim to offer a Bachelor in Musical Theatre from 2007/8.

Do you have any specific questions regarding LSC?

You might want to check out Urdang Academy, they aim to offer a Bachelor in Musical Theatre from 2007/8.

Do you have any specific questions regarding LSC?

I did look the Urdang, but they said they're pushing back plans for the BA.

Basically, I just wanted to know some information about the content of the audition classes - especially about the ballet class, what sort of stuff they will want to see, what they are looking for, etc.

I think I'm alright with the Jazz class, and if it's a Graham Contemporary, I'll be absolutely fine, since I've been doing Graham and Cunningham techniques for about 4 years nows.

Alex.

As you want to focus on musical theatre, I would not worry too much about the ballet part. It will be a regular ballet class: barre work, centre practice, adage, pirouettes, allegro. Please be aware that all different routes require daily ballet classes for the BA - and you have the opportunity to take pointe classes, variations, and pas de deux classes as electives (for non ballet majors).

If you have trained in ballet before, you should be fine - remember, the audition does not only focus on ballet, but you will have a jazz dance, contemporary dance + singing and drama.

LSC provides also a specific ballet route - these auditions are different from the theatre dance routes.

Re Urdang: the BA will depend on validation of the programme, but I am positive it will start in autumn 2007.

Oh cool - doesn't sound too bad then.

I did have a small peek at the Classical ballet route, but I would never get on to it - not enough training and i'm too old.

Oh, by the way, are there any requirement or restrictions on taking the Classical Boys' Virtuosity or Repertiore in Year 1?

As you know, I want to do Music Theatre, and I'll probably take the singing and acting options in Years 1 and 2. But I'd really like to take a Ballet option, for enjoyment and future teaching purposes. :yes:

Or does that sound like too much of a risky plan??