Ballet Talk for Dancers
jphoenix

Ballet Schools in Canada - Southern Ontario

jphoenix

Does anyone know of a good place for boys to take classes in Southern Ontario. We are about an hour east of Toronto, and my son is fine where he is at the moment as he is only 8. He is the only boy currently taking ballet at his school though and as he gets older, unless this changes I would really like him to take a class at a school where he is not the only boy in the class.

Millie

Have you looked into the Junior Associates program at the National Ballet School?

This is not their regular professional program, and I think that at that age they only come about once or twice a week. They have boys, and its good training for them. Parents drive one hour to get there, given the distances in Toronto, that is just a regular commute here. B)

jphoenix

I have considered this and it would be an option. I was just kind of hoping that I would find something without having to go right downtown, as depending on timing it could be a long trip with the traffic.

Gracey

The Associates program is really the best option. They have a solid class of boys this age which meet Wed evenings (about 6:30 start) and possibly on Saturdays, but you shoudl call and confirm that.

The benefit is that they have enough boys to make up an individual class, which others schools simply do not.

Academy of Ballet and Jazz is also a great option, but there is not a dedicated boys class yet. I have no doubt that if they could get a solid number of boys similar in age and ability, they would schedule one in.

silvergreydancer
Does anyone know of a good place for boys to take classes in Southern Ontario. We are about an hour east of Toronto, and my son is fine where he is at the moment as he is only 8. He is the only boy currently taking ballet at his school though and as he gets older, unless this changes I would really like him to take a class at a school where he is not the only boy in the class.

You have one of the best training facilities in the world in the the National Ballet School of Canada. What's to consider?

Guest tweedle-dee

In a valiant attempt to plug for my own dance school....Canadian Children's Dance Theatre has a few boys in their younger programs and offers ballet classes twice a week as well as several other styles of dance. It's at 509 parliament street, and easily accesible from anywhere in the GTA. I (obviously) reccomend it!

jphoenix

Thank you all for your advice. As I said I have definetly considered taking my son to classes in Toronto. The only issue really is that I am a single parent who teaches ballet myself, so it is hard to travel too far most evenings and weekends as I am usually at the studio myself. I guess I was hoping that something might come up outside of the city. I am actually east of the GTA so the trip to downtown Toronto is not really an option without the entire evening to spare.

Vladimir Demine

Have you had a chance to look at the Victoria Ballet Academy? It has a full-time professional ballet training. It is located in Markham, at ETR-407 and Yonge Street. Read www.victoriaballet.com

balletrox

I don't believe they have dedicated boys classes but the following schools are regarded well.

Quinte Ballet School's recreational program - (cecchetti) - Belleville

Island Dance Studio - (cecchetti) - Port Perry

PSB Dance Academy - (RAD & Cecchetti) - Scarborough

Premiere Studio of Dance - (BATD) - Peterborough

Premiere Dance & Theatre Arts Academy - (RAD) - Cobourg

Conservatory of Dance and Music - (RAD) - North York

Theatre Dance Academy - (BATD) - Oshawa

Thornhill School of Ballet - (RAD) - Thornhill

rgzannie

Another option is Stepanova Ballet Academy, Thornhill - Vaganova method. No dedicated boys class, but there are a few boys in the school.

5-6-7-8

Just a slight correction, the recreational program at QBS is RAD, the professional program is Cecchetti.

balletrox and tweedle-dee - I tried to pm both of you but your boxes are full!

balletrox

Sorry 5_6_7_8 - I cannot recieve PMs - I'm still a new member :grinning:

PointyToes

Can anyone recommend a studio between St Catharines and Burlington?  DS1 is 15 and ready for a pre pro school.  We couldn't sent him away even though he was accepted for winter term at a large 3 letter school in a large city.  Are there any studios in the area that have good male teachers and more than a few male students?  If we have to, I will drive him to Toronto, but its 1.5 hrs away from our house in the US. Does the National Ballet School Associates have classes for his age group and skill level?  

Chasse Away

PointyToes, have you tried Hamilton City Ballet/ Hamilton Academy of the Preforming Arts? It's in Dundas, a part of Hamilton, so it's maybe like 15 minutes from Burlington. They currently have 2 male staff members and a few male teenage students. Both male staff had dance careers in Russia, trained at Vaganova, and I know one has all the degrees to go with the title of "Ballet Master". 

It is a very small school to begin with but it is very high quality training. The academy is a private day school, but the same staff run evening classes for students enrolled in regular school. It may not look like much from the outside but please check it out, I've never seen a studio that offered such quality training and such passion for the art of ballet. I personally prefer their classes to those offered by the National Ballet of Canada. 

PointyToes

Hamilton City is on my radar, glad to hear more about it.  I called Thursday, will try again Saturday.  DS took a private lesson from someone who mentioned a studio in Hamilton on Dundas.  It sounds like it might be Hamilton City. Is it of the caliber of a finishing school?  It would be wonderful if DS could stay at home. The website shows a very limited schedule, though.  Thanks for the recommendation!