Ballet Talk for Dancers

Bourrées en pointe

enigmaticpheo

Ever since a few months ago, when I first started taking class at a new studio, and we did bourrés, I noticed a slight technical discrepancy that I wanted to double check here. In doing a simple bourré across the floor, I noticed that--out of five other girls--I was the only one who did my bourrés this way. Whereas I tend to initiate and keep the movement going in my ankles and feet, while minimizing any movement in the legs (other than what happens automatically), the other girls inititated the movement from their legs. I don't mean this in any bad way at all, but it was more of a stomping movement they had; up and down with the legs and feet, that happened to travel across. One of the teachers told me to do it that way, to pick up more in speed, although my bourrés weren't really much slower than anyone else's. I was just curious as to whether bourrés tend to be initiated more from the knee or the ankle? Another teacher told me the way I was doing them was correct, so I'm wondering if it's right or wrong, or simply two interpretations of the same move. Thanks! =]

• Administrators

Sounds to me like a matter of degree, like how much movement in the knees. The movement is feet and knees, but the movements are very small and certainly should not create any "stomping" quality. You need to be very lifted up, and the look should be like you are skimming across the floor, leading with the back foot, of course, so that the feet remain in a well crossed 5th all the time. There has to be movement in the knees or it would look very wooden, but the key is to be so high up that the knees are flexible but do not look bent. :thumbsup:

Knock knock;

Well actually I'm still officially 20 so =P

I observe this "bent knees" situation in bourrees too; my question is; my knees certainly don't look bent while doing bourrees but I'm doing them slower than the other bent kneed girls. My question is, does speed comes from the "flexible" knees? If so my problem is being "wooden", but if it's not only that; does someone get faster with practice?

• Administrators

Skyish, if your knees are totally straight there is no way you will get speed, not to mention not look wooden. The knees must have flexibility...that is, they MOVE. That does not mean they are bent like in a plié!