• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Victoria Leigh

• DancinFeet

• ballaurena

• DegasDancer

• Administrators

Robyn, eash program generally lists the audition requirements on their websites. Check out the ones you are going to and see what they want. Some also want a head shot, and some do ask for things other or in addition to first arabesque.

I had mine taken by the photographer for the company my school is attached to. My digital camera is very weird, and there is now setting to make it take instantly, and also the delay is different every time! Even though professional pictures were far more expensive, they turned out amazing and were well worth the extra money! The photographer knew just what the auditioners were looking for (the line of arabesque, arch, turn out, winging, eyes, hands, everything!) I took about 53 arabesque shots until we got one that had everything! According to him, and a few intensive websites, they are looking for the line foremost.

• 2 weeks later...

If an audition for a summer intensive asks for a full body shot in any ballet position, is it okay to give them an arabesque? On the Houston Ballet website, one part of it said that a we need a full body shot facing front...is an arabesque okay...even though it's profile?

• Administrators

If it says facing front, then I would think that a first arabesque is not what they are asking for. Since they don't specify beyong 'facing front', I guess the pose is up to you.

Miss Leigh: Do you have some suggestions of what would be a good pose to choose for the "facing front" picture? I too have to take a picture like this. Thank you!

• Administrators

If you have a really good à la seconde tendu or développé, fine. If not, I would suggest something in croisé devant, effacé devant, or écarté devant. Those poses are, of course, not exactly en face, but if it just says facing front.... I think you can get away with it.

If I did a croise, ecarte, or efface devant, should I do a développé? Also, should I do it in pointe shoes and/or on releve (if it's a développé)?

• Administrators

If the audition information only specifies something facing front, then I think you could do a tendu. If you have been on pointe for a year or more, then I think you should wear pointe shoes. Do have your teacher pose you though.