Ballet Talk for Dancers
Vision

Academic issues- academic options?

ddancer

It is almost time to register for school my daughter just returned home from her first summr dance intensive and wants to attend a virtual high school. She will be in 10th grade. I have looked at many programs and it seems that many mainly grade on the testing, My dd daughter gets goods grades in school however she does but is not the best tester. Has anyone ever attended the virtual high school of excellence which is out of fla? Or know anything about it? It is college prep but how do you really know how academic the program is to you buy it? I have looked at many schools and it is a very difficult to decide from web sites. We cannot afford an expensive school. Would love to hear some suggestions and experiences.

nightowl

ddancer, we began homeschooling my daughter in 8th grade because of her ballet focus. Many dancers we know use the Keystone program. They liked it and felt they learned more than when they were in public high school. I have never seen it. I chose my own curriculum. It's cheaper that way. Many homeschool curriculums are designed for independent use. My daughter has worked that way and as a result she has become quite the self learner. She is not afraid to tackle a new interest and figure it out. As a result she has self taught fairly advanced computer skills. At least that is what I've been told by experts who have seen what she can do. I, of course, have no clue. The good news is that you are in a very friendly homeschool state.

Sleeping Beauty

We also use the Keystone program and have had success with it. If you have any specific questions, please feel free to ask

2dancers

My dd will be "distance learning" this year for the first time through the public school system. It is free (well kinda, courtesy of taxes :lol: ), & they supply all of the materials, plus she can go in to get help from teachers if she needs or get help via the system set up on the internet, which is great because she is beyond me in foreign language & math.

We are in So. California, but maybe there is an option like that where you are :) It's worth a look.

atutulover

My daughter used University of Nebraska Independent Study Program for the last two years of high school.

Grades are based on a combination of evaluations, tests, and papers submitted online. Feedback was timely, and papers were actually read, graded, and commented upon. She took the few available AP classes. Costs were reasonable, administrative staff were always available to answer phone calls and questions. College counseling staff assembled necessary recommendation letters, etc., for all college apps in a timely manner.

She was accepted to an Ivy League school, but has chosen to defer while she finishes pre-pro training.

I would recommend Nebraska highly.

jmh4

We had a similarly good experience with Northwestern U. online Gifted and Talented Program. Well run program with very accessible teachers and administrator. Challenging courses for those ready for the material. I also would recommend this program without hesitation.

atutulover

The number of online programs has increased dramatically in the last few years. Many are offered through state or local public school districts free of charge. For those seeking more advanced classes, Yale and MIT and probably other universities, offer free online courses. It's wonderful to see so many resources available to kids whose interests require alternative educational experiences.

hippiechicken

The number of states that offer Virtual Schools through the local public school system is rapidly increasing. Most of these programs offer AP and IB courses for higher level students.

You can google 'virtual school' and your state or some states even let out of state students attend.

These programs are public schools, so they are free and have certified teachers to support you. They also have the same assessments as state public schools.

ddancer

How does University of Nebraska High School compare academically to an excellant brick and mortar high school? How many hours per day did she spend on each subject? How long is feedback for grades? Are the students pretty much on their as learners? On their site thay mention tutors for help. How much does the parent need to help as I do not feel I can help her on some subjects? Is the math online or just the book? How explanatory is it? I welcome any feedback. As far as Keystone don't they mainly grade on quizs and tests?

dance1soccer1

My smarty pants son has tried them all . . . . His info to me must be taken w/a grain of salt however, because he is really, really, really smart and demands super high level work.

University of Nebraska is a pretty good program, as non-brick and mortar schools go. The tutors were helpful and accessible. Unless you go the Duke U or Johns Hopkins gifted online work ($$$$$$!!!) you are not going to get difficult "honors" or "AP" level work, in my opinion. Keystone is actually extremely simple and straightforward work. Nebraska and Indiana are a little more challenging. Still no comparison to the classes my son took with actual honors and AP teachers in the "regular" school. On the other hand, a lot of the challenge of those brick and mortar classrooms turned out to be irrelevant to the info he needed to know for AP tests, finals, papers, etc. Nice to know, but not vital to life.

dufay

My D did AP courses through Apex Learning and Aventa. Apex was better structured, but all were fairly rigorous, and she did extremely well on the AP exams. Points are taken off for late work- these are not courses for the undisciplined!

atutulover

I agree. Daughter is smart, a very fast reader and excellent writer to begin with. She also had the advantage of completing first two years of HS at a bricks and mortar private college prep school where she was able to hone research skills and complete lab science courses and most of math via accelerated programs. She did take AP Calc through Stanford's EPGY program, which was challenging because of technical difficulties with computer submission and sometimes slow tutor feedback. Her Nebraska coursework consisted of language, history, english courses for the most part. Feedback was prompt. Extensive written comments were provided on advanced language writing assignments and good feedback on AP English papers. She completed this coursework without any sort of tutoring, but these types of courses are better suited to independent study than, say, science or math. It is probably true that you can get more out of an excellent "bricks and mortar" school, but there is a lot of excess time spent getting it. My advice would be to have your child take as much math and science as he/she can at school before switching to independent study online program.

dance1soccer1

Also, keep in mind that anyone who registers can take an AP test, regardless of whether you took an actual AP class. My son "took" World History AP by just buying the textbook on a discount site, going through that and through a "cram" book and then taking the AP test in the spring - with excellent results. No teacher, no curriculum, no syllabus. If it is a subject your child enjoys, if the student studies fine on his/her own, and is motivated and disciplined, it can be done. He is "taking" AP physics that way this year and judging by sample practice tests, will get the same type of result. His AP score entitled him to 6 hours of college credit.

Keep in mind you have to register for AP tests by a certain (fall?) date for the spring test. Registration is $80, I think, and is easiest to do through a local high school. Just call them, explain what you are doing, and ask them to register your child.

marigold

Is anyone familiar with cyber charter schools? We are looking at one that offers a "scholars" program where the students can meet for classes two days a week and some additional days, if you live close enough to commute to their headquarters.