Ballet Talk for Dancers

Ballet Schools in Switzerland - Zurich

Guest Ariana

Hi,

My husbands company is moving us to Zurich, and we are looking for a ballet school for our daughter. She has been dancing sinec 5, attended several SI and wants to do it professionaly. She is only 13 but I know that in Europe that is the time to enter high school and that could be one of the options.

Thanks

Edited by Ariana

Thank you - I found that one on google. I guess I need to send the email to principal and ask for more information. Yes it is great opportunity but also kind of scary. Me and my husband speak German, but kids are French/English only so school will be an issue in the begining. I am looking forward to the life in the city and all the day trips to nearby countries

Your lucky childern :( I wanted to go to that school too but I was too old when I realized it. I don't think that languages will be a problem there. They have many students from all over the world and since they understand and speak french and english they won't have to many problems. Minimum one of the two languages is thaught in Swiss schools but if you are still afraid that it will be an issue you can also find English Speaking schools around.

My kids don't think that they are lucky at this point, but.... later in life they will thanka us for it. At least we hope. As for school, they will attend whatever public school is there, it will be hard in first couple of months but after that they will speak another language. Wow - 4th one.

As for ballet school - i need to figure it out what the admission process is. Does my daughter has to audition or they would accept the video. Lucky girl is going for 6 weeks of Kirov, Vaganova style could only help her in Europe where everyone likes russinas.

My kids don't think that they are lucky at this point, but.... later in life they will thanka us for it. At least we hope. As for school, they will attend whatever public school is there, it will be hard in first couple of months but after that they will speak another language. Wow - 4th one.

So true :unsure:

As it is written on the site, auditions will be in February and in March (and a day to look around) but auditions are all the time possible with the directors permission.

• 1 year later...

Does anyone have any advice on adult classes in Zurich? My good friend is moving there and would like to continue taking classes (probably at an intermediate level), but is trouble finding anything more than an hour long. And of course, it always helps to have recommendations. Thank you.

In the Opera you can take open classes. I went to a couple of them and I did not like them too much but maybe it was because I come from another system and I used to get corrections all the time. And I did not like the teachers teaching style. But anyway, this is the link http://www.ballettschule-ohz.ch/ your friend might like it there. The site is in German. If you need any help for translation just PM me!

Thank you. I will pass the link on to my friend. She is German, so the language is not a problem.

Well, the lessons are held in english :) and a very english french :wink: Maybe you tell her, that she should try several teachers (my teacher sometimes goes there too and she told me that the others are not as bad as the one I had class with) before she buys an abonnement.

Thank you for the advice. I will let her know. She just flew there a few days ago, so I don't know if she has had a chance to try classes yet.

• 7 years later...

We have had a small but very positive experience with the Tanz Akademie. The people greeting the moms were very friendly & helpful -- I have no German, so extensive help and hand gestures were necessary! My daughter (12.5 yrs now) tried out their "Taster Days" (3 full days of classes taking classes with their 12-ish y.o. year-round students) two years ago. It was during a school holiday, so the idea was to park the active one in the Tanz Akademie while the rest of us explore the city in peace. Their dancers looked very, very good to my mediumly-trained eyes. My daughter gave the school two thumbs up, and would love to attend year-round if we could figure out a way around the schooling in German & tuition fees... not to mention our impending empty-nest syndrome :wink: !

Because she has loved ballet since she could walk, she has ended up with a fair bit of experience in judging different teaching styles. When the summer camp discussion comes up in our family, she always wants it to be dance. As a result, she's ended up in quite a number of different summer dance programs over the years, including Paris and Antwerp. When it come to dance, I'm assuming she knows what she's talking about because those last two were rather competitive to get into. She gives me quite precise critiques every time she encounters a new teacher. For the Tanz Akademie, she appreciated their corrections (even though this was really only a "come-see-what-we-do" event), liked the precision of how they broke down the components involved in the dance movements they were learning, and understood what they were saying even though she had no German at the time and her teachers' English wasn't impeccable, shall we say.

On another note, Zurich is one of my favourite cities in Switzerland. All that gemutlichkeit! ... But the franc is very, very strong, so brace yourself for a pricing culture shock if you decide to move.

Oops! Just noticed your question was from 2015 and it's now 2016 -- I clearly haven't adjusted to the new year yet. Sorry my answer is probably too late.

• 1 year later...

I saw the Opera site but can't figure out how to get the schedule of open classes for adults. Are they still being offered? I will have a one day layover and may be interested in taking a class while I'm there, if I have the energy....