Ballet Talk for Dancers

Boys Changing Rooms

slhogan

...And it is nice to have a boy's changing room :)

I hope it's okay that I moved this quote over to a new thread. I've been meaning to bring this topic up.

My son won't use the boy's dressing room and I can hardly blame him. His first time to go in there and change before class (when he was 7) he saw naked (or only-wearing-dance-belts) teenage boys goofing around, slapping each other on the butt, snapping towels in the shower etc :o He came out completely mortified (I don't think he's ever seen a naked adult male body before) and refuses to go in there again.

I'm not sure I want him to go in there anyway. It doesn't seem safe or appropriate for a child to be in the same locker room as teenage boys. So, he now changes in the car if he forgets to change at home before we leave, and he uses the bathroom by his classroom to do his business.

My 5 year old son, on the other hand, thinks the men's locker room is hillarious and always wants to go in there (he's a real nudist). But, despite the sign on the girls locker room stating that no boys over the age of 4 may enter, I bring him into the girl's bathroom with me (covering his eyes with my hands as I steer him over to the toilet stalls).

Does anyone have any opinions on young boys in the men's locker room?

I was a prim (one might also say prudish) child, and I do think it would be nice to have separate changing rooms for children under the age of, say, 12. I'd be surprised to see one at all but the largest ballet schools, though.

DS never had a changing room at his old studio. During performances, though, the age groups were separate - younger boys in one room and older boys in another. It seemed appropriate. For all of my sons, I don't think modesty would be an issue, but I think there's a good chance younger boys might pick up habits best left until later. Until they start wearing dance belts, it's easy to dress for class before leaving home (if possible), just like the girls. At least that's what my DS always did.

At DS's school the older teens have classes that are in the mornings and early afternoon. There is a break in the boy's schedule before the after-school classes start, and the classes are staggered so that there are seldom teenagers and 8 year olds in the locker room at the same time. (I have no idea if the class timing is intentional wrt locker rooms.) There are also no showers, so basically it's for changing clothes only. I would feel less comfortable if all the boys/men were there at the same time and if there was showering. There are some young boys who do not use the changing room though.

I do like having a locker where shoes are kept, and a change of clothes so that we never have that panic of realizing that he left something at home. Now if they just had a laundry service ...... :)

My DD's also usually change at ballet school rather than at home - most of the girls do. It's one thing to come to class with your ballet gear underneath your clothes in winter, but it can be hot in the summer!

BOYS CHANGING ROOMS

It seems this has been an issue for a very long time. It is such a shame that boys are relegated to such poor accomodations.

Our "mens" dressing room is walked into by mothers and other girls and women at the school, so I'd love to have a dressing room full of teenage boys. Maybe the mothers and other females would get an eyeful and stay out. My 12 year old DS has to change in a locked bathroom stall in the men's dressing room to make sure he has privacy.

He shares a dressing room with company corps men when he has parts with the professional company. Initially, he was a little shocked that the men "sit around in their dancebelts" talking and such, but didn't seem to dwell on it much beyond that first day.

My son did experience some of the behavior slhogan is talking about when he was on the swim team. He was a little older (9, not 7) and just sort of stayed out of the way and showered and dressed as quickly as possible.

Have you talked to the administrative assistant or anyone at the school about the teenage boys' behavior? Sometimes the horsing around is just too much and people can end up getting hurt, or like your son, be afraid to use the dressing room. A teacher or another authority figure could let them know they need to settle down a bit.