Ballet Talk for Dancers
balletbum74

Nadezhda Pavlova

balletbum74

I did a quick search and nothing came up :innocent: so I created this topic.

Over winterbreak, I read a book called "Russian Ballet: Past and Present" and it mentioned Nadezhda Pavlova as an exceptional dancer. She danced mostly in the 1970s to 1980s, but I had never heard her name mentioned with dancers in that time period. Her technique seems very polished, was trained at the Perm State Ballet School, and danced with the Bolshoi. Does anyone know how she was percieved by others (not just the author's point of view)? I searched her name on Google, but very little information came up as well. Does anyone have any book, video, or website reccomendations about Nadezhda (or know how to phonetically spell 'Nadezhda')? Thank you very much in advance!

missvjc420

http://www.ballerinagallery.com/pavlnade.htm

Here's a short bio and some pictures from The Ballerina Gallery.

Mel Johnson

Pavlova was a briefly-burning meteor who charmed almost everybody from about 1975 to about 1985. She played the title role in the 1976 George Cukor film "The Blue Bird", which was a peculiar reading of the Maeterlinck play, but served as a joint project between American and Soviet film studios, a "crack" in the Iron Curtain. The diplomacy that I found most intriguing was that Pavlova (a Bolshoi soloist) was backed by a corps de ballet made up from the Kirov!

balletbum74

Thank you both very much! Now to find out where I can get a hold of "The Blue Bird"...

Mel Johnson

You can look for it indexed by Elizabeth Taylor, who was the "headliner" star. She played The Queen of Light.

balletbum74

It showed up on Amazon.com. Thanks for the help Major Mel.

laterekhova

Balletbum: I have been looking for this movie for like forever!

However, doesn't it say on Amazon that it is unavailable? If not, could you perhaps post the direct link that shows it is available for shipment.

Thanks!!!

balletbum74

laterekhova, here is the link: http://www.amazon.com/Blue-Bird-Sinyaya-Pt...4?ie=UTF8&s=dvd

It says that it is avaliable from certain sellers. I hope that helped in some way.

Have there been any biographies written about Nadezhda Pavlova? I'm trying to brush up on Soviet dancers.

laterekhova

WOW! Thanks soooo much!!!!!Balletbum! I thought I could never get a hold on that movie! I am glad you posted the link.

balletbum74

No problem, glad to help. Is the film in Russian or English?

Mel Johnson

It's in English. The thought of Liz Taylor dubbed into Russian boggles the mind.

krkimkrkr

there are lots of videos on youtube that features pavlova

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_quer...3&oq=nadezh

this is the link when i searched her on youtube

i personally like the don q videos

i think she was a very wonderful dancer looking at her video

she has such a strong technique especially of her time period but she could still dance now and still be exceptional! But it is not only her technique that makes her great it is her artistry!! she also have very beautiful lines and extensions but she keeps them controlled!