Ballet Talk for Dancers

University of California - Santa Cruz

Guest dancinabbs

Does anyone have any info on a dance program at UCSC? Is there even any sort of program at all? I just started looking at schools, and my college counselor told me to find out about a program at UCSC. Thanks!

In the UC system it is not the best choice if you want pre professional ballet class opportunities.If you are willing to drive a bit of a distance you can obtain good ballet classes but I don't know how you would do that and take a full load of classes. If you are interested in other types of dance forms at a recreational level there are plenty of choices at UCSC, as my son went there for a year and we looked at convienent options.

The only real dance option in the UC system is UC Irvine. Some other UC's have ballet, but most are really modern based and not "known" for their dance. Find out how often ballet is offered and if pointe, etc. is offered. That tells you what the program is really like.

• 5 years later...

While UCSC may not have a dance program, there is an excellent ballet school nearby in Santa Cruz Ballet with directors Robert Kelley and Diane Cypher.