• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dcportrait

• Petite_Arabesque

• Robin G

• mmded

More than 700 dancers from all over the world attended the first 3 day auditions.....According to what Corella reported to Europa Press Televisión nearly all members have already been selected

Does this mean that nearly all members were selected prior to these 700 auditioning dancers?

Does this mean that nearly all members were selected prior to these 700 auditioning dancers?

Although that wasn't the impression I have, I guess it remains to be seen. My daughter felt they were truly auditioning for corps spots, apprentice, & maybe soloist spots were still open. She did know that Principals were already cast prior to the auditions.

More than 700 dancers from all over the world attended the first 3 day auditions.....According to what Corella reported to Europa Press Televisión nearly all members have already been selected

I got the impression from this report that Mr. Corella & jury chose his company from the 700 auditioning, but I could be wrong! :blink:

dcportrait:

SO SORRY to hear about the loss of the wallet :shrug: .... like I said, such is Spain!! But I am delighted to hear that your dd's experience was still so positive. My dd arrived on Tuesday after the Madrid auditions and was able to do 2 days of class with her old teacher before we went to Barcelona for the Thursday morning audition. As in Madrid, there were about 40 girls in her class, although she was not impressed with the general level of those auditioning. Less experienced dancers (according to her) don't always have a good sense of where they are in space, making some of the center work a challenge with dancers ·cutting off· other dancers due to bad angles. One of her friends who dances with Victor Ullate was in the same audition class and was one of six girls selected to do some additional pirouettes and fouettes at the end of the class. They were all very short, so my dd assumed that she was "too tall" (at 5'8" the tallest of the entire group) even though she felt her level was better than a couple of those selected for the extra work. They were told that letters would be sent to those selected for the company 15 days after the last audition date, so that would seem to mean around April 15.

Dd was still very glad she came (in spite of the expense...) even though she assumes that she will not be one of the future company dancers. Besides just getting to be "home" , some additional "surprise" perks for her having made the trip was getting to watch Sylvie Guillem dance at the Teatro Real Sunday night (WOW!!!) :party: , and getting to have her first professional photo session with the same photographer whose pictures are on the link mentioned a few comments back. What a difference in being able to get a dance shot for her CV when it is a previous dancer who is also the photographer--and not just a couple of amateur parents doing what they can... American "do-it-yourself" initiative can go a long way, but the pictures he took are lightyears beyond anything we could hope to achieve.

I am guessing we were right-on to conclude that the safest bet was to do the audition in Spain and not wait for NY or London.... which look like they won't need happen. In some ways I am almost sorry that dd couldn't get here in time for the Madrid auditions if indeed they had "selected" so many before the Barcelona auditions.... The word we heard in Madrid was that the level of the men was exceptionally high but the level overall of the women was not so high as anticipated... a surprise since it is usually the other way around. The articles in the press seemed to indicate otherwise, for what few articles there were, but that may have to do more with what is "politically correct" to say.

After reading the thread recently on professional auditions and the way things happen in the ballet world, these auditions would have gotten very high marks: in Spain people on the "sister site" were all up in arms about paying 10 euros to audition, but the organization made sure that everyone got their money's worth since no one was cut/ erveryone did the entire class. The judges were attentive, the treatment humane and personable, the administrative aspect ran smoothly, in general for a "new organization" quite an accomplishment. :o

Now!! Let's see if in a couple of weeks there will be a post by someone who gets "the letter"!! :D

quote name='PsFs' date='Apr 4 2007, 08:49 AM' post='317379']

dcportrait:

They were told that letters would be sent to those selected for the company 15 days after the last audition date, so that would seem to mean around April 15.

I will pass this along - were they told a letter, specifically?

Dd was still very glad she came (in spite of the expense...) even though she assumes that she will not be one of the future company dancers. Besides just getting to be "home" , some additional "surprise" perks for her having made the trip was getting to watch Sylvie Guillem dance at the Teatro Real Sunday night (WOW!!!)

Yes, I heard a little moaning (LOL!) re: not being there long enough to see that!

I am guessing we were right-on to conclude that the safest bet was to do the audition in Spain and not wait for NY or London.... which look like they won't need happen

Yes, glad we "bit the bullet" as it were & went on to Madrid, rather than "wait and see"

After reading the thread recently on professional auditions and the way things happen in the ballet world, these auditions would have gotten very high marks: in Spain people on the "sister site" were all up in arms about paying 10 euros to audition, but the organization made sure that everyone got their money's worth since no one was cut/ erveryone did the entire class. The judges were attentive, the treatment humane and personable, the administrative aspect ran smoothly, in general for a "new organization" quite an accomplishment

Agreed! I think it sounds as though it stood out this year, not only in aspects of a great experience (i.e. in Spain!), but because it was treated as a very positive audition experience!

Now!! Let's see if in a couple of weeks there will be a post by someone who gets "the letter"!! :o

:D

Note: I tried to send PsFs a PM, so not so much of this was taking up "public space", but was unable to do so..my apologies!

dcportrait, (and everyone else...)

sorry I am kind of dumb about these things.... I think the PM setting is enabled, but I don't even see where I send them from within my personal controls... Try again now that I have updated a few things and maybe somethng will work!!

PsFs

psfs-you do not have enough posts yet to have pm status. Not long now.

Momof3darlings:

Thanks for the info!! I was beginning to wonder if I was REALLY seriously not computer/internet/website savvy.... I'm relieved to know it's still only moderate :wink: !!

Hanging in there,

PsFs

I can't wait to hear who the principals will be. Has this been announced or does anybody know? Are they dancers from ABT?

• 1 month later...

Hi

I know for a fact at least one dancer from ABT's corps will be joining his company. I don't know which rank though.