Ballet Talk for Dancers

Theraband stretch?

tinydancer31

i was looking at some old posts and i came across something. They were talking about a theraband stretch that stretches your feet as if someone else were doing it. I didnt understand how this works, can someone better explain?

• Administrators

Sit on the floor, legs out straight, place the theraband under the ball of one foot (top of it will also cover the toes), flex the foot while pulling the two ends of the theraband towards you, then push with the ball of the foot and then the toes until fully pointed while you continue to pull against that action with the ends of the band. It creates a resistance that you are pushing against, and this will help to increase both flexibility and strength. When the foot is flexed you are also stretching the calf muscle and working on using the quad muscle to straighten the knee.

Ms. Leigh,

I was just wondering what strength of Theraband you would suggest to us to use. I know that there are 3 or 4 different colors of Therabands which have different strengths and I do not know which one I should use. Thank you!

Have a GREAT day!!

star_reacher :ermm:

• Administrators

You may need to try different ones. Maybe some other dancers from your school have them, and you could test them to see if they offer enough resistance or too much. The blue seems popular with a lot of dancers, so you might try that.