Ballet Talk for Dancers

rond de jambe jete

safetypin

My problem with rond de jambe jete isn't with technique (although I am sure I can improve it!) but that the exercise comes so early in the barre. In advanced 1 it is after battement fondu and advanced 2 it is part of rond de jambe. (both RAD) It feels far too early in the barre to throw my legs around, I feel a real strain in my hamstrings. My teacher asked me why my leg wasn't very high and I told her the reason, she agreed it's a little early but because it's a syllabus that's the way it is. Is there anything I can do to lessen the chance of injury? I think my body just doesn't warm up very fast as some people can do pied a la main before class and feel fine! Thanks for any advice.

Sorry for the delay. I knew the answer when I first saw it shortly after you posted, but I needed to check my facts before I replied. First, the rond de jambe jeté is not a grand battement en rond, where you REALLY are tossing the leg around. And yes, I know that "jeter" means "to toss" but it's really not all that much of a toss! Its high point is at à la seconde, just above 90°. You should feel sufficiently warmed up by the rond de jambe à terre to be able to do these without fear of doing yourself harm. Just think of the exercise à terre as isometrics. The supporting leg and working leg are working outward from one another, rotated from the hip. That should give you the stimulation of the necessary muscles to do the rond de jambe jeté.

I usually consider it as a "loosening up" movement. Don't necessarily try to reach your maximum extension at this point; just keep your leg light and your hip relaxed.

• Administrators

I just hope that the exercises prior to this have had enough hip things, like retirés and passés, quick cloche, etc. If there are none of those things, I would not think the hips would be ready for this movement, unless one is naturally flexible or has done a lot of work prior to class.

The problem is that when most people do this, they really do think of it as a grand battement rond de jambe jeté, and I think if the legs are not ready for it, there has not been proper preparation.

Thank you for the replies. That's good that you don't really need to throw the leg too much and it doesn't have to be too high. The exercises before it are: grand plies in 5 positions with port de bras, battement tendu with transfer of weight, battement glisses with pique, rond de jambe a terre and battement fondu. I don't actually think it's a very good barre. (Can I say that?) But I have this class twice a week and have to make the best of it I guess! I'll try your suggestions, thank you.

Sure you can criticize the RAD barre. RAD teachers do it all the time. Ms. Leigh is right, there has to be more "free" material given before you get into the rond de jambe jeté. That's the problem with teaching the syllabus and ONLY the syllabus. There is a whole lot more to ballet than just required matter. That's why the Academy encourages its teachers to consider the needs of the students and add "free" material as they consider advisable.

Haha! I'm in good company then! I have free classes on the other days but on one day, RAD is my only class. I quite like trying to get everything perfect in the syllabus classes but when the barre isn't very thorough it doesn't work very well. I don't like doing grand plies with no demi plies and I don't like grand battement on demi pointe either. Or that there are no tendus from 1st. Wow I'm very critical!

• Administrators

Being critical is not such a bad thing, safetypin! It might help you to prevent injury. :wub:

Mr. Johnson, how long since the RAD barre has been upgraded? It sounds really seriously deficient to me. I know you said they need to add "free" exercises, but, since evidently many don't do this, it makes one question the syllabus. ??? :shrug:

RAD is constantly adjusting. I first ran into somebody who was teaching it in about 1967, back in the days when the advanced classes were called pre-advanced and advanced or some such. There was a lot of material in both barres before any rond de jambe jeté happened. It's only been about ten years since I started working with an RAD school around here, and the Advanced 1 and 2 seems to have less matter in it "by the book" than I recall there being all those years ago. But then, it could have been the teacher too. I don't know when or if there was a massive change, or whether what I see now is the cumulative effect of many years of small changes.

• Administrators

Interesting. If there were changes, sounds like they were not beneficial changes.

You would find a lot of experienced RAD teachers who would agree with you! :(

Update on the rond de jambe jete - this week it was fine, I didn't concentrate on trying to make it high and just thought about the placement and it not being too "round" and it was fine, I didn't feel strain and my leg was probably higher than usual anyway! I suppose it you are nervous of something you tense up so that is restrictive but I was more relaxed. So thanks for the advice! :blushing:

That's good to hear. :blushing:

Sometimes, it's largely the state of mind when you approach an exercise or combination that makes it or breaks it.

• 2 weeks later...

reading this topic i had to laugh because everything being said is so familiar...

my teacher is always commenting on how she dislikes the new syllabus... i think it was a little over 5 years ago they changed it and changed the names of the levels... (most confusing was the old intermediate is now advanced one and the old elementary is now intermediate...) cause for a bit of confusion when our teacher reverts back to old names... or uses the wrong cd...

as for the barre, when the changes were made some old advanced exercises were split between advanced 1 and 2, some were cut out completely(much to my teachers frustration), most are the same as the old intermediate and some were combined (i think that's more in the centre though) our teacher is not happy the way it is now... what i dislike more as far as order is the battement fouette (sp?) after only plies tendus and glisses...

as far as the ronde de jambe goes, i was surprised (quite pleasently though) to see the moderaters replies on the actual action and height... i used to just do it a bit above 90 (slightly lower than my grande battements) and tried to keep it controlled and not throw it too much as i did not feel warm enough... but my teacher told me i was not placing it high enough(saying it should be the same height as my grande battements ie. as high as i could get it while holding my placement), and also constantly reminds us in this particular excercisse (advanced one) that jete means to throw and this is the action we must get...

how do i query her view on this without offending her? i want to be doing it correctly both for my exam and so i am not risking injury...

thanks,

love belle xox

My teacher gets confused with the new names too, so she calls it "red book" and "green book" because of the colour of the pianist's book, instead of advanced 1 and 2 or intermediate and advanced. :D

I found a list of exercises from advanced 1 in case anyone who doesn't know it is interested to see. I can't find one for advanced 2. http://dev.radenterprises.co.uk/pdf/WDLVGA1F01.pdf We don't do every exercise in every class as there isn't time, and the examiner won't ask to see them all either. In fact class time is another question I have so I'll start a new topic.

I haven't had any problems with rond de jambe jete since not worrying about it so much thanks to the advice on here, even in adv 2 where they are faster. Yeah! :P