Ballet Talk for Dancers

Spelling Demons

Mel Johnson

A lot of places these days don't use a human; they use the spell-check function of the computer. However, since "bared" is a perfectly correct spelling, it will go right through. The function that tells you that the word is "bore" is more expensive. The misuse of spell-check is also obvious when you see copy with a lonesome hyphen in the middle of a line of text, separating syllables for no ap-parent reason. The writer has transferred copy from one program to another without checking it after it's been received. Line breaks are left uncorrected.

And the teacher who speaks of "tahnt leeay" must have a really interesting family. When you say that, you say "thickened aunt"!

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mel Johnson

• Victoria Leigh

• CDR

• jimpickles

A common mispronuciation I've heard in London is "sissonne" with a long vowel - rhyming with "alone" rather than "on". It sounds as if the speaker is trying to be posh.

"Where, oh where, was the copy editor???"

Probably been sacked. Saves money.

Jim.

I'm sure you're right. This was the first week of a much-hyped "revamp" of the newspaper. I now call it "The XX News for Dummies." It's really almost worthless.

Those resposible for the sacking should have been sacked (quick, what movie comes to mind?) I do so love the British use of "sacked" for "fired." Even more, I love "made redundant" for "laid off."

Lisa

EDIT: Dang. I should have known I'd misspell something on this thread. I meant "responsible" of course--not "resposible."

A lot of places these days don't use a human; they use the spell-check function of the computer. However, since "bared" is a perfectly correct spelling, it will go right through. The function that tells you that the word is "bore" is more expensive.

But what's so horrifying is that the writer, whom I would assume was actually being paid to write (as she also has her very own column), didn't know that the past tense of "to bear" is "bore."

Sometimes I can hardly bare it. (Make of that what you will :thumbsup: )

Lisa

Off Topic but unforgettable....

On Christmas Eve 1996, the local newspaper had an advertisement for "Damnation" puppies for sale.

That one might have made it on Jay Leno, but the paper got tossed out before my husband could clip the ad.

I've been accused of being a "stickler" but I'm actually more often a "slacker."

But I HAVE enjoyed this thread :wub:

I used to work in banking. My peeves are with the improper usage of "withdraw" and "withrawal".

I cringe when folks say they want to "withdrawal some money."

These are the same folks to want to "make a withdraw."

Grrr. :lol::)

I made cheat sheets to post at my tellers' stations:

Withdraw is a VERB - it's what customers DO WITH their money.

Withdrawal is a NOUN - it's another name of the money customers have in their hand when they walk away from your window.

I figured it was important for my tellers to understand the difference.

I have a degree in journalism and I'm now studying for a degree to teach Dutch. No need to ask how I feel about spelling and language mistakes. I hate watching the news on public broadcasting and hearing terrible mistakes. But I know for a fact (I did one of my internships there) they have someone who keeps the language perfect there and anyone making a mistake on air will get a blue envelope in his or her mailbox stating what the mistake was and how to correct it.

I spent my last student teaching assignment constantly correcting my students. So I guess this happens in all languages.

Unless one is Leonard Marx, aka "Chico". He made a mint of money with a fractured mock-Italian accent, sometimes even fooling actual Italian-Americans. People couldn't figure out how Groucho could have one Italian brother (Chico) and one who might have been from the Moon (Harpo)! His usual formation for "I have a" was "I'm-a have-a a"

Yes indeed. I tend to write one sentence while thinking about the next.

My pet hate is when Dessus is pronounced dess-ee in order to make it clearer for the students that it's not Dessous. And although it's not related to spelling when releve is used as a position (Do we do this on releve?) and coupe is mixed with coup de pied.

Actually most spelling mistakes occur because the person does not enunciate the word correctly when he/she uses it in normal speech. If you always pronounce certificate as stiffica, it follows that you won't know how to spell it correctly.

Unfortunately, I am surrounded by incorrect spelling here - even though I can read Hebrew, I normally read the English if the menu is written in both languages in restaurants and it invariably gives me a laugh - sometimes I actually have to look at the Hebrew to see what they're trying to write in English! There is a "loo" on the beach, where the official sign happily says Restrom. It's been spelt correctly inside on the Handicapped Restroom, so how could they not have noticed that an 'o' was missing???? Another thing is that there seems to be no official decision as to the spelling of place names. For example Caesaria is also spelt Qesariyya on some notices. :shrug:

Here in the "great midwest" I am always surprised to hear 'your mother's sister' pronounced ant. I hate it. I learned it properly, aunt. My teacher had a cute way for us to remember the spelling...never called your mother's sister a black bug! (ant) Remember there is a "u" in there. And, don't call her a nut, put the "u" in the proper spot!

Sure enough, I have always remembered the correct spelling. Now, my poor daughter has learned BOTH pronounciations because I insist she calls my sister Auntie with the proper pronounciation. But, when she talks about her to her friends, they all say "what??" And she has to say "ant". :shrug::shrug:

And there I thought all Americans pronounced aunt like ant and it was only we British who pronounced it ahnt. Just like you say tomato and we say tomahto! Oh well - live and learn! Mind you I know how your daughter feels - Israelis insist that jazz is jezz (misheard American pronunciation I think) and I've given up fighting with them about it, because if I say jazz they don't know what I'm talking about!

Isn't "jazz" actually an American word? Meaning one that developed here as opposed to one brought over from England back in the 17C.

Come on b1, only those in the south of England say 'Aunt', anyone who is a true northerner or Scot most definately say's Ant! There are millions of people up there with many a dialect yet that word is always said minus the 'U'. The east coast of the US and many from various and sundry other parts of the country do say 'Aunt', I'm Auntie to all my many nieces, nephews, Great Nieces and Great Nephews and the rest. From my north country relatives in England I'm a beloved 'Ant'! They don't say 'H's' in the north either, it's just not the done thing! There is no 'hell' in the north, only 'ell'. God truly must be an Englishman!

In England Quay is pronounced Key and Beauchamp and pronouned Beecham! I suppose it's allowed as they developed the language the US only adopted it! Also, isn't it 'Caius College Cambridge', which of course is pronounced 'Keys College Cambridge'. English as spoken by the English is a joyous language with never a dull moment!

Sorry Hans, of course jazz is US speak. I meant that my students try and copy the American accent of the "a" in jazz but it comes out as a short "eh" because they don't pronounce it properly - like the "a" in hat which usually comes out as het. Brits and Americans may pronounce their "a" s differently, but they're still "a"s not "e"s.