Ballet Talk for Dancers
Guest kacy

Abusage

Guest kacy

And while we are on the subject of "less" v. "fewer," another of my pet peeves is the use of "over" when they actually mean "more than." As in, "Over 15 students are in the Honors Program." It should be, "MORE THAN 15 students are...." Over is a direction, more than should be used for a number. Just my two cents.

Mel Johnson

This post was split off from the spelling topic in order to address the issues of poor usage in language. For spelling, particularly of ballet terminology, see "Spelling demons".

(I have just noticed, with some delight, that the software, in its zeal to separate the title of this topic from the subtitle, has automatically created a "comma split".)

Claude_Catastrophique

Oh yes please. English is not my mothertongue and my last English Class was years ago. I do not have time to take classes again so i see the internet and its forums as a way to keep my Engish or even improve it. Sometimes I just do not know how English language is used properly and therefore I am always thankful when people ONLY use their best English :D

diane

It is embarrassing to me as a native English speaker to see how many mistakes we native-speakers make, while very often non-native English speakers have a much "cleaner" command of the language. :wink:

So, some of the main things which bother me: "that" when it should be "who"; "there's" when it should be "there're".

("..there's some kids that I know..." :D )

-d-

CDR
So, some of the main things which bother me: "that" when it should be "who"; "there's" when it should be "there're".

("..there's some kids that I know..." :( )

-d-

I've never seen "there are" abbreviated to "there're" - Is that an Amercian thing? Brits have you seen it before? It looks strange!

Mel Johnson

"A battement tendu is when..." Nothing except perhaps a period of time or a condition of being "is when".

beckyb
I've never seen "there are" abbreviated to "there're" - Is that an Amercian thing? Brits have you seen it before? It looks strange!

CDR, I haven't seen that in the US!

diane

:) re: There are / There're - It can be used.

there is there are

Though I do not see it written often.

Usually I hear people say "there's -- (some plural).." .

Ah, well, there are worse things. :)

-d-

Claude_Catastrophique

But how do you say "a battement is when..." the correct way? I always say that when I have to explain things in English. I just translate it from German into English and it sounds extremly stupid, I know, but I do not know how to say it better.

balletbooster

Claude, leave the 'when' out completely. Instead say, "A battement is..." You are giving a definition, example or a demonstration of the term used for a ballet movement. 'When' should be reserved for describing a time sensitive event. :angry:

dancemomCA

My pet peeve is when people write "Its" for It's, confusing the possessive with the contraction of "It is". Or Cesar or Ceaser Salad instead of Caesar Salad, or does anyone really care anymore how the darn salad descriptor is spelled or spelt? Doesn't spelt mean something else - it's at the back of my brain...help :angry:

Blanche

As long as there is no spelt in your salad, it's probably ok.

Edited by Blanche

Mel Johnson

Right, "spelt" is truly a species of warm-weather wheat, but rather low in productivity. In American usage, it was sometimes applied to buckwheat, too, but the use overall is declining, largely because of the low productivity of the grain (few people can make it profitable), but also to alleviate confusion with "spelter" - cast zinc.

In the same way, you're going to have a hard time finding rapeseed oil, for reasons which should be immediately obvious, but you can always use canola oil instead. It's the same stuff, new name.

(And it's a good idea not to have any spelter in your cereal, either.)

Claude_Catastrophique

Thanks a lot: This is an easy solution and it sounds elegant just to leave out this one word.