Ballet Talk for Dancers

working turnout

sarahlyn

I'm not sure if this is the best place for this, but my question is, when working the turnout is it normal for the hips to hurt? Yes, the knees are kept over the toes. And, what is the best way to work it? One teacher told me to keep the standing leg turned out which doesn't always allow the working leg the complete turnout. Another teacher says to turn in the standing leg slightly until it is stronger, but really turn out the working leg.

• Administrators

sarahlyn, no, the hips should not hurt. If you are pushing your rotation more than your hips can handle, that would make them hurt. :green: Forcing the standing leg is worse, but neither leg should be forced. Try to work them as equally as possible, but within your range of motion. Increasing rotation must come very gradually and cannot be forced.

Thank you Ms. Leigh. I have recently noticed that my hyperextension in the knees and calves often cause misalignment in my hips causing them to slightly point down towards the floor rather than be level. If I relax my knee and it moves slightly forward out of the hyperextension, the hips become more level. Could any of this affect turnout?

• Administrators

Totally. When the pelvis is tipped like that, and the knees locked back, the rotators in the buttocks don't work! :green:

• Administrators

Oh yes, sarahlyn! When you correct the alignment, IF you have the rotation, you will then learn how to use it much better! You must work with a teacher who understands hyperextension and how to place the student with this problem.

Ms. Leigh, I talked to my teacher about my hips. She is trying to correct my allignment, but she still insists the hips will hurt for a while and that they should hurt. I can't tell if it is muscle that is hurting or the actual hip bone. Is there a difference?

• Administrators

Sarahlyn, where exactly are they hurting? The pelvic bones in the front, or the buttocks muscles in the rear? If it is muscle, fine, you are probably just working them for the first time. But if the area of the hip bones hurts, that is not good. There are ligaments and tendons there, and yes, some muscle too, but you really need to be able to identify where the pain is. When it is in the front, unless it is the groin muscle, it is more likely to be joint involved. If it is the groin muscle, that is not okay. It must be rested in order to heal, as that would be a strain of that muscle, not just sore muscles from working.

If there is pain in the hip joint area, see a doctor. If it's in the buttocks, that would be just sore muscles and you will get over it.

I know your turnout can improve by working correctly, but I was wondering if it ever gets to the point where your bone structure will only allow you to go so far?

Yep, sure is. Then you have to make the most of what you do have.