Ballet Talk for Dancers

White Shoes

dancerguy

Next weekend we have a performance in which I have to wear white shoes. I know that if I wear my regular black shoes for a week they are already dirty. I was planning on wearing the white shoes to class tonight, since it's a studio where we don't use rosin, so that they would stay clean, but I'd still get to stretch them out. But I was wondering if there was any way of cleaning shoes after they get dirty. They're canvas so I could wash them, but I've tried that with my black shoes and it doesn't seem to make a difference.

I put my white canvas (Bloch) every two weeks in the washing machine and they stay quite clean. Don't wash them too hot though :green:

Also if you are going to wash them, dont dry them in a dryer just air dry them. otherwise they'll probably shrink. you could wear the white shoes to class with socks over them. cut holes where the soles of the slippers are so that they dont slip when you're turning and stuff. of course you'll need to ask your teacher first if this is ok.

just some ideas!

I soak the shoes overnight in cool water, then wash cold in the gentle cycle. Use the washer's spin cyle to extract most of the water, and stuff the shoes with paper towels to help air dry.

Thanks, I managed to wear them to class today without getting them dirty, but these tips will come in handy this summer, when I have to wear white shoes.

Washing machine with line dry works.

But also... they don't actually have to be pristine clean for stage. As long as they're not super-dirty, I've found it's OK.

• 2 weeks later...

I bleach mine if theire too bad.. but I agree with citibob - they dont have to be WHITE on stage, as long as youdd still call the colour white and not grey, its ok..

Also we use chalks (can I write it like this? Anyway, the white thing little girls use to draw on the sidewalks, atleast in my european little city :o ) before going on stage to cover any black spots etc on the shoes.

Sure. chalk is kaolin. It's a type of compressed clay. The less-compressed variety, pipeclay, was used to whiten leather belts and even trousers in military uniforms of Napoleon's day.

Sure. chalk is kaolin. It's a type of compressed clay. The less-compressed variety, pipeclay, was used to whiten leather belts and even trousers in military uniforms of Napoleon's day.

Who needs Wikipedia when we've got Mel to inform us of the details of the most obscure facts? :blushing: