Ballet Talk for Dancers

How to repair insole?

rshevin

I tried searching but you can imagine how many hits I got with these keywords! Basicly the thin leather insole is peeling up around the toes, just above the pleats, on my old backup shoes. They're Bloch full soles but I'd really like to salvage them for emergencies (and dancing around the house). I tried using a little Gorilla glue but it just soaked into the fabric lining. Any suggestions on what might work?

I think I'd try E-6000 or Fabri-Tac. Both are very sticky, so you'd want to actually peel it back to where you could put a layer of glue down on the insole with a popsicle stick or something, then push it back down in place.

Or if you like the old-fashioned way, take some hide glue, let it half-harden, stir it up and apply as instructed above. It was the way all shoes were glued; of course you have to not mind your feet smelling like a horse, but that's the old way!

Hum, I suppose I should also have included "and where would I find said glue?" in my initial question! Fabritac I think I can get some place like JoAnn's or maybe Michael's. I've never heard of E-6000 or hide glue.

The good news is because they're slippers and not pointes, I can just turn the whole shoe inside out to glue it back in place. Much easier than popsicle sticks although I could always use an excuse for a box of popsicles.

Hide glue is the classic old-time furniture glue. You buy it in a hardware store.

Oh good! I'd much rather go to a hardware store than fumble about in a fabric place. I'm moderately handy but not at all girly or crafty. Give me a hammer and nail over a needle and thread any day!

I recently used this contact cement for exactly this purpose. It's also a hardware store item. I had it around (for sealing the cork on my Birkenstocks a couple times a season), checked the usage index, and put it to use when I saw it had a top rating for fabrics. It comes with a brush, so it's easy to apply, and it's held up well. Start with a bit and, let it dry, and add more later if necessary.

Oh! Seal the jar tight and store in a resealable plastic bag in between uses so the cement doesn't harden up. Just a heads up.

I found that super glue (what maybe you call jet glue) worked well. It will stick everything immediately and irreversibly, including your fingers. However, the first time I tried it on my Blochs I suceeded in making permanent a little ridge in the insole which was really annoying, and which was irreversible too - great care is needed.

I dont know what Gorilla glue is, but if it's superglue and it soaks in too fast, gel formulations are available.

Will animal glue really work? Will it melt when hot or damp? Personally, I have found that with shoes of all sorts, the forces on them are so great, that its not worth using anything less than the strongest stuff possible. Its really annoying if the little ridge around the edge starts curling up again.

Jim.

Thanks for the recommendation gav. That also looks like something I could easily find and safely use.

Unfortunately, I have a rather embarassing history with superglue which resulted in my old boss making a special rule that I was only to use it in dire circimstances and then only while wearing gloves. I have continued this as a personal rule. Gorilla glue (http://www.gorillaglue.com/) is quite similar except it sets up slower and is thus on my "allowed" list. I am worried about whatever I choose being too stiff or "crunchy" for lack of a better word.

I worried about the shoes becoming stiff, too, but I haven't experienced it with the stuff I used. Again, I used very little.

This contact cement also doesn't set immediately on contact. I mean, the instructions and its name say that it does, but they also say it take 15 minutes to dry completely. It's certainly nowhere near as quick-setting as Jet Glue and it's much more viscous, if that's a helpful comparison. Maybe it's still safe for you!