Ballet Talk for Dancers
lynnatbeach

Can you please evaluate this schedule?

cakers

Unless this is a residential school then this doesn't sound like it can be a required schedule for school age dancers, given that two days of the week have classes scheduled mid-day. Is your dancer home schooled?

Victoria Leigh

Lemlemish, I really don't like the Saturday thing very much. It's too much. Especially since she is essentially doing 7 days a week, even though that one day is not ballet. I think that teens really need one day that they can do other things besides strenuous exercise. Since she is committed to the Thurs. thing, I would say no to the extra classes on Sat. One tech and pas is fine, two of each is a lot at 15. She is probably still growing. Does she also have rehearsals, besides the Sun. variations, somewhere in this schedule?

lemlemish

Thank you for your response, Ms. Leigh.

No, she does not have any rehearsals year round. They will have some (maybe 3-4 weeks worth) on Friday nights and/or Saturdays leading up to their Spring performance in June, but that will be all. I think that some of the combinations they learn in center may be the basis for some of the choreography of the spring show.

Maybe on Saturdays, she can take the tech class (which is on flat) then pas (with the older boys, which as a parent I trust more than the younger ones), then maybe just the barre of the second tech class and then go home. I certainly don't see the value of two pas classes in the same day. But when I mention this to dd, she gives me that teen glare and tells me how that she is lucky that she was invited into the other classes.

Victoria Leigh

It's the second barre that is not needed, in my opinion. At this age one solid, good technique class per day, plus pointe, is quite enough, especially when she is doing it 6 days a week plus a day of other exercise.

lemlemish

Ok, I will advise her that one is enough. Thanks again for your help.

lemlemish

New studio - new schedule.

DD (15 1/2) was at large company school for 5 years, then spent last year at small school. It was a good year, but it wasn't the best fit for her. (The AD really wanted her to take both Sat tech classes, for example.)

Now we are starting fresh and this looks like the new schedule -

Monday: 1.5 hour tech and 1 hour pointe

Tues: 1 hour contemp and 1.5 hour tech

Thur: 1.5 hour tech and 1 hour variation (on pointe) and 1 hour character

Fri: 1 hour conditioning and 1.5 hour tech and 1 hour pointe

Sat: 1.5 hour tech and 1.25 hour rep (on pointe).

It's about 15 hours total which seems low although does fit within the sticky guidelines for her age. There may be some rehearsals on Saturdays after the rep, but it won't be year round. They will also have occasional master classes on Wednesdays and Sundays (once a month). Is it enough? DD is excited about this new place, but a tad sad to be leaving the pas classes behind. I told her that if the master classes have pas then once a month should be fine, but figured now that I said that, I should make sure that the BT4D people think it is fine. Lol.

Victoria Leigh

I think it is good, lemlemish.

balletsky

My DD is 12 (13 in January) and this is her new schedule for the upcoming year. I would appreciate it if you could let me know your thoughts.

M 1.5 hour ballet tech/pointe class

lower level 1.5 hour ballet tech/pointe class

T 1.5 hour ballet tech/pointe class

W 1.5 hour ballet tech/pointe class

TH 1 hour character

1 hour modern

S 1.5 lower level ballet tech/pointe class

1.5 ballet tech/pointe class

Plus she may have a rehersal once or twice a week for 1 hour.

Thank you for reviewing and giving your feedback. I appreciate it.

Victoria Leigh

It's okay, for now, but in the next year or so I would like to see some separate pointe time, not connected in a 1.5 hour class. Instead of 2 technique/point classes it would be nice if there was one full 1.5 hour technique class followed by an hour of pointe at least a couple of times a week. At the teen levels I really feel that they need a full technique class, and not have to cut it shorter than that in order to get some pointe work in.

lemlemish

Thank you. It's nice to be reassured.

slhogan

Could you take a quick look at my son's new schedule?

Do you think it's too many hours? He will be 15 this fall, and recently started puberty (i.e., grew 2 inches over the summer, shaving once a week, muscle definition now visible in his arms). I worry that too many hours could be a strain on a rapidly growing kid. This year he is really trying to 'up his game' in preparation for moving away for pre-professional training next school year.

Thank you!

MONDAY

Morning:

45-60 minutes Weight-Lifting, focusing on upper-body (with adult supervision)

Afternoon:

1.5 hours Tech (lower-level)

1 hour Pointe/Partnering

1.5 hours Tech

TUESDAY

Morning:

Afternoon:

1.5 hour Tech

1 hour Contemporary

WEDNESDAY

Morning:

1.5 hour Men's Technique

Mid-Day:

2 hours YAGP rehearsals (a group rehearsal, so there are times he is not dancing and is watching others rehearse)

Afternoon:

1.5 hours Tech (lower-level)

1 hour Pointe/Partnering

1.5 hours Tech

THURSDAY:

Morning:

1.5 hour Men's Technique

1 hour Men's Variations

Afternoon:

1.5 hour Tech

1 hour Jazz

FRIDAY:

Morning:

Mid-Day:
2 hours YAGP rehearsals (a group rehearsal, so there are times he is not dancing and is watching others rehearse)
Afternoon:
1.5 hour Stretch/Conditioning
1.5 hour Tech
SATURDAY:
Morning:
3 hours Student Company rehearsals. Begins at the barre.

Victoria Leigh

You know, slhogan, while I think it is too much, things have changed a lot in recent years and I would like to hear Hans and gcwhitewater, our wonderful male teachers, opinions on this.

Hans

It looks like a lot to me, too. I would say that normally one does not need two technique classes a day, much less three. If he wants to take an additional lower level class, in my opinion once a week would likely be enough. Are the men's classes structured like a regular ballet class, just focused more on men's work? If so, he probably doesn't need a later technique class, unless perhaps he wants to do barre in order to get warm for something afterward.

It is great that he is so enthusiastic and motivated! But he needs to bear in mind that he has a lot of life ahead of him, and while hard work is good, he also needs to allow his body to recover from it so he doesn't burn out or get injured.

slhogan

I think it sounds like a lot too. I worry that too many hours could cause stress injuries in a boy that is rapidly growing, but I'm not sure how much flexibility we have with his schedule.

After a great SI with lots of Men's classes, DS came home really wanting to add Men's classes to his year-round schedule; however, his year-round studio is small and doesn't offer them. He got permission from our city's company-affiliated school to take Men's classes from them 2 mornings a week (it's a 45 minute bus ride into town those 2 mornings). His teacher gave him permission to take those 2 Men's classes only if he promised it would not interfere with his 'regular' schedule.

His regular schedule is everything but the men's classes and weight lifting. The teacher requires her advanced students to take both of the tech classes on Mon & Wed, as she emphasizes different things in the different classes and her assumption in instruction is that they are attending both.

The Men's class is a traditional tech class with barre work, etc.

Although he has been involved with ballet since he was 8, he only recently started taking it seriously. The general consensus of a few different teachers is that he has a lot of potential but is behind on his technique. He knows this and is working hard in class to improve.

The weight training seems to be beneficial. Several people have remarked that his upper body is much stronger in class.

If the class hours are too much, I can see 2 ways he could reduce them:

1. He could drop the jazz and contemporary classes.

2. He could ask permission to attend just 1 of the 2 tech classes on Wednesday afternoon.

Would that be more in line with a healthy schedule?

gcwhitewater

I agree with Hans on this. I worry about his burn out and motivation. I realize he has a high level of motivation but after a while the multiple tech lessons may diminish that. I have had upper level students level down multiple times per week and found they weren't able to keep up their intensity in every lesson due to fatigue. I no longer permit that more than a couple times per week depending on the student. I believe quality study using maximum effort trumps countless hours at 75% effort. That has nothing to do with his diligence but his fatigue. There is a fine line between enough and too much.

Keep an eye on his weight lifting. I would prefer a rest day in-between lifting days at his age. It sounds like he is working with a trainer so I would ask them about his calorie and protein intake. Without proper levels of those it won't matter how much he works out, the gains won't be accomplished.