Ballet Talk for Dancers

Stress

janninepointe

I know I don't have the hardest time but at the moment my schedule is very tight and I'm getting very stressed however I don't know how do deal with it. Almost every night -besides Wednesdays and it varies on the weekend- i get home at 8 PM and usually have to be at school be 7:30 in the mornings, so I wake up at 6:15. It seems impossible to finish all my homework e.t.c in the period of time that I am home as well as doing everything else, eating, showering... It doesn't help that I already am trying to catch up with everyone else and taking 4 extra classes a week as well as other lessons for R.A.D, rehearsals are announced last minute and can go until late at night, I'm living at a homestay without my parents, it takes an hour to get home by bus and I'm a perfectionist at school , being generally unsatisfied with myself.

I don't know how my friends manage to take more rehearsals and competition classes ( I'm not doing anything this year) dancing all 7 days of the week instead of only 6 and it makes me even unhappier. The stress is really taking a toll on me. On Sundays I hardly get out of bed. My neck gets so tense that sometimes I can't sleep. My flexibility tends to diminish when I'm very srtessed and I am really tired. I eat well, am improving slowly, and sleep for 8 hours a night so I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I can't do my homework on the bus because I have to change busses going home, any tips? How can I learn to cope?

• Administrators

Janninepointe, I'm sorry you are having so much stress. :wacko: I know it's difficult, but students in an intensive ballet program really have to learn to prioritize. They have to figure out when and where to get their school work done and still have all the energy they need for dance. Most find ways of getting a lot of it done during the school day. Many do work in the car or on the bus or train, if there is a long ride, even with a change of trains. :blushing: Do you have a study hall at school? Do you have time at the ballet school before your classes? Can you figure out how to put maybe one more hour of study into either your morning or night time schedule? Are you certain that you must have exactly 8 hours of sleep every night? (I ask that, because, while that is highly recommended, a lot of people find that they really do fine with a little less than that. I never slept 8 hours, and really did not seem to need that at all. However, I'm not recommending that, just saying it could be possible.)

Another thing, PLEASE don't stress about your friends who are doing 7 days a week! They are not helping themselves, and could be hurting. The body needs a day of rest. The muscles and the brain need that time! :shrug:

I know that I'm not supposed to give advice, but I'll make it short. Janninepointe, I have a very similar personality. I'm also a perfectionist when it comes to just about anything. Please don't over-stress yourself out, cause it's NOT worth it! I did and it resulted in a case of shingles, which was definitely not a fun way to spend my spring break. Take it easy and take care of yourself. :sweating:

You can try doing homework in other classes or at lunch (I know that's not a very studious thing to do, but it helps a lot). Also, if you have any major projects or stuff, get them done on Sunday! Even if it's not due for another two weeks, it's always better to get it done in advance. I'm an honors student with a lot of homework, so I understand what you're going through! I can't stand to get zeros on assignments because I didn't get it done. I agree with Ms. Leigh, you don't necessarily need eight hours of sleep. I get about 6-7 and I do fine. :)

I'm going to sleep later and so far it is working pretty well! Well I couldn't not because we had rehearsal until 9:00 everyday this week... but still I'm not feeling as tired as I thought I would! It's very suprising, thank you for all your tips although I couldn't use all of them beaue I don't have any free time at lunch, I am on the bus doing my hair eating lunch and talking to my fmily in germany because that's the only time when the time differences are ok. Thank you

do you have any breaks during school? my middle school is weird and gives us a 15 minute break for recess :) and a 10 minute break for snack. a lot of times i do some homework during the 10 minute break. i also do in the car. on days when i have a late start, when i dont go with my carpool, i go to the library and do some homework. i also do some in the car to and from school and ballet. good luck! stress is still a major issue for me too :blushing: , so i can completely relate!

I have the same issue. What I do, I get up at usally four and finish my homework that morning. I know it sounds like procastination, but it really is helpfull. I dance untill 8, and then I get homw around 9. Doing my homework really get me ready for the next day at school and I'm vry well rested if I go to bead about 10 and wake up at 4:30 or so... I get a good 7 hours of sleep, and I'm still passing scool, but deffinatly passing ballet better. :thumbsup:

I'm 13 and have a very busy schedule ,I dance every day exept sun. unless I have rehersals. Every night I find myself up untill midnight or 1 am. my mom and dad do not really aprove of this, but it is all I can do to get my work done . Iam used to only getting anywhere from 4-6 hours of sleep every night, :sleeping: so since I'm used to it do you think I need to change it? :thumbsup: Also if I try to get a decent amount of sleep ,I usually can't because Im so stressed about not getting homework done. :unsure:

i used to be one to stay up past midnight to finish all my homework in time, but i discovered (after a bit of advice) that getting up in the morning early to do it was much easier... your brain is rested and you can focus a lot better which means you get more done in less time... rather than doing it late at night when you're tired and can't concentrate as well...

i'm definitely not a morning person but i still found this helped me... it also means that when i come home at night i could completely relax knownig that i've done all i need to until the next morning.

love belle xox

I've been waking up early every day except Sundays now, so my body is so used to it that I wake up automatically at 6:30 am on Sundays too. It's weird, because I always sleep really late on Saturday nights, and then pop awake five hours later. And believe me, I am NOT one of those people that can live on under 8 hours. Has my body transformed somehow? Should I tell my doctor about this? Is it a deep concern (or a concern at all)?

Edited by hPijsdancer
  • Administrators

I do not think that it is a deep concer, or really any concern at all. The body seems to know how much sleep it needs. If you needed more sleep, you would go back to sleep after waking up on Sundays, knowing that you don't have to get up. :)