Ballet Talk for Dancers

making the most of class time

safetypin

I'm taking 5 classes a week at the moment, I would usually have 7 (over 6 days) but I have a few niggling injuries so I've cut out the two classes I have in another town until I'm injury free as it's not worth it to travel so far when I'm not getting the most out of it. The problem is that those two classes were the only decent length classes I have, both 1.5h. The 5 I have in my school are only 1h and they are just not long enough! We don't have separate pointe classes so we hardly ever do any pointe work. I'm not going to be a professional dancer so I can't move away to another school and there is no other school in my town which has longer classes and I don't think their teachers are good. But I do want to be the best I can and keep improving. So I think my best option is to try to make the most of the class time we have. Does anyone have any ideas about how I can do this? I can't stay after class and work alone as either my class is the last one of the day so we have to leave straightaway, or there is another class straight after so I can't stay in the studio. I have 2 syllabus classes and 3 free classes. Thank you if anyone can help me!

Let's address first things first. As long as you have "a few niggling injuries", you may be aggravating them if you take class at all. Rest is the A-number-one priority with injuries. If, on the other hand, you mean a scratch on your shin, then it's OK! :D

And yes, if those are the circumstances as you've described them, then "brighten the corner where you are". Work hard at the classes you can get and work for mastery.

I don't mean serious injuries, my teachers are ok with me taking classes still but you know how old injuries are stiff some days, or they flare up when you're tired? That's what I mean.

Thanks for the advice to "brighten the corners", you made me remember something I was once told about working hard even when you're tired, I had forgotten about that.

I don't mean serious injuries, my teachers are ok with me taking classes still but you know how old injuries are stiff some days, or they flare up when you're tired? That's what I mean.

Oooh, believe me, I know what you mean!!! :crying: