Ballet Talk for Dancers

Another poping hip query

giselle2

When going grande battements to second at the barre my hip pops really badly and though I wouldn't say its painful it is uncomfortable. I tried relaxing my turnout somewhat because I have read posts wear forcing the turnout has been a problem but relaxing it didn't work. When I tried to stretch my turnout further though the popping lessened though it is still there. Could the issue be that I am not turning my leg out far enough? My turnout is not quite 180 but it is reasonably good, should I be focusing having my leg out at 90 degrees?

Thanks for any help.

• Administrators

Giselle2, it could also be your alignment and weight placement on the supporting side. Moving the leg forward only works if it was too far side for your rotation. It's possilbe that was not the case with you.

• Administrators

Because if you are even slightly sitting in your hip, or have your weight too far back, it limits the mobility in the other leg. Alignment and weight placement affects everything you do.

Oh right, OK I see what you mean. I'll try and think about that during class and ask my teacher again, I've asked her about it a couple of times already so wanted to see what was said here as don't want to waste too much class time. Think class will be quiet tonight, though, due to the easter holidays so it should be easier for her to correct me.

Thank you for your speed response! :o