Ballet Talk for Dancers
Rachie

Movies: Center stage

missvjc420

I really liked the Wheeldon piece- Aesha Ash is a lovely dancer!

appleblossom
It's probably my favorite dance movie...The Company had more sophisticated choreography, but it was so dull!

I totally agree about The Company, it was a snore fest. I actually fell asleep watching it, and haven't bothered to see the end of it to this day.

LOVE CENTER STAGE! Infact one night I enjoyed it so much i watched it 2 times in a row. The hot dark haired guy is Australian isn't he?

Liz Power

I sort of thought this movie should have been subtitled "How to Really Annoy Your Superiors in the Dance World," but I will admit it's really fun. :blushing: I love the jazz class scene—the teacher is Priscilla Lopez, who originated the role of Diana Morales in A Chorus Line. She's so awesome! :thumbsup:

And one of my jazz teachers dated Peter Gallagher (Jonathan) when she was younger!

tinydanzer

I LOVE this Movie!! :D Soooooooooooo much! It is one of my favorite movies!! I love Sasha Radetsky!

Mel Johnson

I've got bad news for you. Although it has its sappy moments, too, The Company is more like actual ballet company goings-on than Center Stage.

Agnes1022

I saw Center Stage, and it has its moments....only much later did I realize that Ethan Stiefl and Sasha Radetsky are ABT dancers!

I just watched the movie trailer of The Company and find it interesting enough to buy a DVD from Amazon. I'll update you all after I watch it.

Another movie that might be worthy of note is The Dancer, whose DVD was released in 2005. This ballet documentary (1994)..... "is an intimate behind the scenes look into the Royal Swedish Ballet and its school. We are shown the daily routines of the dancers in training, both female and male. Mostly, we follow the daily routine of Katja Bjoerner, a young lady who is one of Sweden's hopes for a prima ballerina. There are many classroom scenes with group and private instruction at the professional level, both barre and center, as well as stage rehearsals. Some of the dialogue is in Swedish with English subtitles, but a lot of English is spoken also. Katja speaks perfect English."

cherrylemonade
I love the jazz class scene—the teacher is Priscilla Lopez, who originated the role of Diana Morales in A Chorus Line. She's so awesome! :D

A huge fan of A Chorus Line, I was really excited when I saw her cameo!

I really love this movie, but I actually really liked The Company too.

Liz Power
I love the jazz class scene—the teacher is Priscilla Lopez, who originated the role of Diana Morales in A Chorus Line. She's so awesome! :D

A huge fan of A Chorus Line, I was really excited when I saw her cameo!

A Chorus Line fans unite! My friend went to the open call here (Manhattan) and it was appropriately intense—no one was allowed to dance unless he/she could do a solid, turned out double pirouette en dehors on both legs. Most people were cut and guess what Baayork Lee told them? "You all need more ballet!" Just goes to show, more ballet is always a good thing!

Agnes1022

Update to my earlier post:

I just watched the movie trailer of The Company and find it interesting enough to buy a DVD from Amazon. I'll update you all after I watch it.

This movie provides a fairly good preview of how a professional corp ballet dancer's life might look like. Lots of rehearsal time, with sometimes finicky choreographer a/o artistic director, plenty of wry humorous comments on your technique from the same, injuries during rehearsal a/o performance causing you to be replaced. Outside the studio and stage, life is equally challenging. The movie portrayed dancers having to take on second (or multiple) jobs to earn enough for rent and utilities. There is also the very real possibility of requesting to be put up for a night or two because you lost your own home for one reason or another.

On the brighter side, the camaraderie among dancers can't be beat (on a good day). At least from the movie, one is reminded of collegiate fraternity and sorority gatherings, where fun time is had by the brothers and sisters. And of course, there is that adrenalin rush following an enormously successful performance.

In sum, I found that "The Company" captured quite well, the realities facing today's professional ballet dancer. Onstage, ballet may be all airy, captivating, fantastic, and ethereal. Offstage, reality (economic and otherwise) can bite hard. My take-away from the movie is that it is very important to not place all of one's eggs in the artistic ballet dance basket, but to have contingency plans that will allow one to sustain a wholesome life. One where there is a balance of financial security and actualization of one's dreams....keep your eyes on the stars and your pointe shoes on the ground.

fofita

I also love center stage! I washed it again yesterday evening... It has really great ballet! :offtopic:

Maybe The Company was more realistic... But also much more boring! I didn't enjoy the choregrphies in it... :wub:

Ballettmaus

Me too, I love Center Stage. And I don't care about realistic or when people (probably mostly non-ballet fans) say how cheesy it is and how much the movie was bad at certain passages, all I care for is the dancing. It's a dance movie and the dancing is fantastic.

I have also seen The Company but I can't remember a thing about the movie.

Edited to remove teen-speak

Edited by Clara 76

GinaNick

I'm in the minority,I prefer the Company over CenterStage, some of the acting in Centerstage

was pretty bad and

there wasn't enough ballet in it for my taste.

What I love most is Backstage at the Kirov, old but great!

Agnes1022
I'm in the minority,I prefer the Company over CenterStage, some of the acting in Centerstage

was pretty bad and

there wasn't enough ballet in it for my taste.

What I love most is Backstage at the Kirov, old but great!

You and me both, GinaNick :P . I think that younger ballet dancers' attention are caught by the snazzy and snappy dance numbers, to which they aspire to do effortlessly themselves. I am of the older crowd, and found the thematic content of "The Company" well balanced with the choreography. So much so that I am flying to Chicago from California on Sept 5 just to watch the Joffrey perform at Millenium Park, and fly back on Sept 6. Been to Chicago before, loved the city.....but I got work to do :lol:

SugarPlumFairy1

I love center stage, obviously jodie is my favorite character! :lol:

little_dancer123

I've watched it over and over again, yet it never bores me!!! :thumbsup: The feeling never wears off!

I've also seen the Company, and even though I agree it's more realistic, I still prefer center stage. :shrug: I do like the dance on the rope in the Company though. From little_dancer123 x :shrug: