Ballet Talk for Dancers
Rachie

Movies: Center stage

Hollywood Ballet

The best part of Center Stage by far, for me, is the way in which "Cooper" the character played by Ethan Stiefel, steals away the rich widow from the company director, and convinces her to fund his new company instead, delivering the coup de grace line, "Guess I got the girl this time, eh?" :wub:

That's my fantasy, to meet a sweet old lady with more money than she knows what to do with, and who wants to support a new dance company!

Edited by Hollywood Ballet

Mel Johnson
That's my fantasy, to meet a sweet old lady with more money than she knows what to do with, and who wants to support a new dance company!

That's not a fantasy; that's Max Bialystock in The Producers!

deannamc
I enjoyed the dancing in the movie. However, the thing that really stood out to me was the combination of jazz and ballet in the piece that Jodi was in. It was really impressive and entertaining. :(

That choreography was Susan Stroman's. She is great at combining ballet with showbiz style.

dancingawaymylifesavings

Just for the record, Ethan Stiefel is bringing some of his star quality to North Carolina School of the Arts. He is the Dean Designate for dance for 2008. He is around this year as well, today he watched placement class. Reality versus film?

balletluverr92

best movie ever, hands down!!!!!!!!! :yes::D

hushinfazen

My girls and I never tire of watching that movie!!!!

hushinfazen

KickIt101

The straight-to-dvd sequel just wrapped in Vancouver a couple weeks ago. They employed a lot of local dancers, I think the call was for ages 17-25 ...

DaNcInThRuLyFe

I love Center Stage :devil:

its my favorite movie but i also like the Company even though it is boring

but it is what a true company is like

two of my teachers are in the movie and another person in the movie performed with us in Coppelia last spring

Clara 76

Welcome to Ballet Talk for Dancers, DaNcInThRuLyFe! :hyper: Please go over to the Welcome Forum and tell us a little bit about yourself, so our lovely Welcome Lady can officially greet you!!

We're glad you found us! :devil:

brise' vole'

I must admit. I liked Center Stage and did buy it just keep in my dance DVD collection. It's a fun movie and it was neat to see Ethan Stiefel and Julie Kent on screen. I liked the soundtrack as well.

I also have The Company. I liked this movie because it really seemed to depict the life of a young dancer in a company, but I did not care for most of the choreography.

No one has mentioned the all time "classic ballet flick" -The Turning Pointe. (have that one too!) Baryshnikov is always easy on the eyes and his dancing is always breath taking. I think Leslie Browne was gorgeous and quite funny. One of the best scenes is after she's been to the bar and has to go on in Giselle and is TOTALLY off. I also really liked Ann Bancroft and Shirley MacLaine. Their fight on the roof -top is not to be forgotten! As I am getting older, I can relate more and more to their personal struggles with regard to dance and family in that film. It was also fun to see Danilova in the film.

Great movies or not, I just love them because they are BALLET flicks. I watch them when I need a "fix", I watch them to remember, and I watch them just because they make feel good! :(

Edited by brise' vole'

alpha754293

It's probably my favorite dance movie...The Company had more sophisticated choreography, but it was so dull!

I totally agree about The Company, it was a snore fest. I actually fell asleep watching it, and haven't bothered to see the end of it to this day.

LOVE CENTER STAGE! Infact one night I enjoyed it so much i watched it 2 times in a row. The hot dark haired guy is Australian isn't he?

I think that of all the dance movies that I've watched so far, "The Company" is by far, the most realistic one of all.

Neve Campbell and Robert Altman did a fantastic job of showing people what the dance/performing arts world is really like.

It isn't always pretty, and I think that of all the dance movies I've watched so far, it is my favorite for that reason.

In terms of choreography, a fair number of the non-classical ballet that are popping up pretty much everywhere - is where the art form seems to be heading. While the classical repetoire is going to be with us for a fairly long time, I've noticed that fewer and fewer dancers are able to perform the requisites required to pull off the performances, and that the time needed and spent on those preparations is resulting in gaps in ballet performances where they are being worn out for a myriad of reasons, faster than they can be replaced with young, new dancers.

And the very fact that there are sooo many dancers around the world that are teaching dance, and ballet, but not yet necessarily certified to do so. I think that that is one of the primary strengths of the Royal Academy of Dance programme, in that you go through the rigors of the examination and certification boards, and THEN you have the option to teach and/or do whatever it is you want to with your certification.

There are some people that I've danced with who's never even HEARD of the Royal Academy of Dance, let alone prepare for their graded and/or vocational examinations. And that's somewhat scary. Should it be required? No. But I would like to see that dance (ballet) teachers have some sort of training and certification to do what they do, if that is his or her dream/goal/desire in life.

Also, apparently, some of those ballets that were presented in "The Company" that is part of the Joffrey Ballet repetoire isn't new at all. Robert Desrossiers (SP?) is in fact a choreographer from Montreal, and the opening ballet was supposed to be from the '70s.

I love the movie because a number of people in the movie are actually in fact, who they are. Neve Campbell was a dancer, trained at the National Ballet School (NBS) in Toronto (back when it probably was still on Maitland St.) before she became and actress. They don't make it like some pretentious thing, and make it into something that it's not.

Others were charactures of actual people (e.g. the director of the Joffrey Ballet at the time) portrayed by Malcolm MacDowell. Stuff like that.

Edited by alpha754293

Victoria Leigh
In terms of choreography, a fair number of the non-classical ballet that are popping up pretty much everywhere - is where the art form seems to be heading. While the classical repetoire is going to be with us for a fairly long time, I've noticed that fewer and fewer dancers are able to perform the requisites required to pull off the performances, and that the time needed and spent on those preparations is resulting in gaps in ballet performances where they are being worn out for a myriad of reasons, faster than they can be replaced with young, new dancers.

Alpha, I'm not sure that I correctly understand what you are saying in that paragraph, but if you are saying that fewer and fewer dancers meet the classical repertoire standards, I would have to strongly disagree with that. The training today, around the world, is producing classical dancers who have not only raised the standards of technique in classical ballet, but are far more versatile than most dancers of years ago.

What do mean about gaps and what, or who, is being worn out? Are you saying that dancers are not lasting in companies? How does that add up to the many, many dancers we see with 20 or more years in a company before they retire? If there are more injuries than ever before, which I'm not sure is the case, but saying it is, then I would have to attribute that to the very demanding contemporary works much more than the classical repertoire.

springflower

I love this movie! Because it's just fun! And, I will say it is cheese-tastic, and I appreciate that about it too. :yes:

I love Zoe Saldana (eva) although I don't know why she is sooo angry all the time. I actually don't really like the character of Jodie, she is a bit annoying and winey,but I do enjoy that final stage performance!

rlyons

This movie is my GUILTY pleasure! I know it is hardly Citizen Kance or even The Black Swan but I can't help but like it secretly!!! ;)

The dancing is fantastic and the characters are somewhat realistic...I just like it...it's nice to find a plcae where I can admit that! LOL:)

TemptressToo

I own both Center Stage and The Company on DVD.

The Company is far more mature, so it won't appeal to the younger set. I thought it was very interesting though. I loved most of the performances in it (although they seemed far more contemporary ballet than what I would expect)...but I hated the last one. It did not appeal to me at all (the dancing bananas, giant that ate people, and other absurd characters).

I just watched the documentary "Ballerina" starring some current Russian dancers. It follows them from their training at the Vaganova school on to their debut on the stages of the Kirov. That truly "behind the scenes" look was even more interesting to me than The Company.