Ballet Talk for Dancers
Pasdetrois

Deferring College Dance Acceptance

balletbooster

2marzipans, did I miss that your daughter had a contract or am I misinterpreting your post above? If congrats are in order, please let us know! :yes:

2marzipans

balletbooster -

I wish I could tell you she received a contract, but it hasn't happened. The job she'll have next year will probably in be in retail or at a restaurant! She has to help pay the bills now. No more college courses during her only free time. Thanks for the good thoughts, though! :yes:

balletbooster

Thanks for the clarification 2marzipans! I wasn't sure if you were being modest or if I was misinterpreting your post! :yes:

Spiritfire

I am bumping up this topic

Senior year has been grueling:

Junior year, DS auditioned for a conservatory and the process led him to the conclusion that he did not want to pursue a BFA. If, and when he went to college it would be to study political science or international realtions.

His Senior year he took high school courses, college courses at a fine, independent college, and 25 hours of ballet a week. That experience led him to the conclusion that he wanted to concentrate on one area in life after high school. But which one?

In the Fall he filled out applications for colleges and submitted a DVD with the Arts Supplement page, but did not apply to any school's dance department.

In the Winter DK attended quite a few cattle call auditions and submitted DVDs to companies he was very interested in.

The college acceptances came first, followed by a few interested companies. Both tracks had a May 1st deadline.

So the decision is...

DS will defer Haverford College and has accepted a company position with Rochester City Ballet.

Thank you to BT4D for the wisdom on the boards and for those who have been willing to PM me with advice and support. Best wishes to all of our DK's in their transitions beyond their home schools to the "next big step".

gogators

Congratulations Spiritfire to your DS! And I've heard so many good things about Haverford! What a great place!

Will Haverford grant him a second deferral beyond this next school year?

Spiritfire

Thank you, gogators.

I have enjoyed our conversations this year as our DK's (and parents) were going through this process. Congratulations to your daughter as well!

Haverford was open to discussing DS's status past the initial year of deferment. That was the best we could hope for. They wer very understanding and supportive. What a wonderful place!

MichelleW

Congratulations to your son, Spiritfire. I have known a handful of people who attended Haverford over the years and not only are the academics excellent, but the atmosphere is more than anyone could wish for.

Spiritfire

Thank you, MichelleW.

Although DS did not indicate that he would take dance classes, one of the colleges in the consortium, Swathmore, sent out a nice letter to those accepted to Haverford, welcoming them to the dance department at Swathmore.

mydarlindancer

Spiritfire, I am so very delighted to share in the congratulations for your son! (And you as well.) His acceptances are all well-deserved, I am sure. As we all understand what a disappointing year this has been for any solid offers, this news is gratifying. He not only has a contract, he was also able to choose where to dance and where to defer from! That is outstanding. I hope that he enjoys the ride!

Spiritfire

Thank you darlindancer.