Ballet Talk for Dancers

good news

eunheejun

Pardon me for totally blowing my own horn here--but I thought only fellow (struggling) adult beginning students would be able to truly share this feeling with me. I will have taken ballet for two years in September this year, and now I am currently practicing to take the RAD intermediate exam (next year). I am also doing a weekly class of advanced foundations for fun. And today, my teacher recommended that after I have taken the intermediate exam next year, I should start advanced 1, skipping advanced foundations. Isn't this great?! Although I knew that we were doing some advanced class stuff in our adult class from time to time, that remark totally made my day! :o

Heeeeeey, congratulations!!! :o

You should be really proud of yourself!

(I started only a month later than you, and I can tell you I am not even nearly that good! :shrug: )

Congratulations! I don't know the RAD syllabus past Intermediate, but I know the Cecchetti Advanced syllabus and the combinations, set adages etc, are beautiful to dance & are set to lovely music. Difficult :yes: , but really lovely. I hope you enjoy the work and the challenge.

Congratulations!!! That is awesome! I also started about the same time (two years in August), and know how much work it all is. That is a wonderful accomplishment!

Guest ingve

Congratulations,

my teacher did not let me skip any level of RAD when I studied in that system.

(many years ago, it had a bit different names at that time, but it was still pretty similar)

Ingve

Congratulations,

my teacher did not let me skip any level of RAD when I studied in that system.

(many years ago, it had a bit different names at that time, but it was still pretty similar)

Ingve

Right, why do they keep changing names?--to make the students feel better about themselves? (pre-elementary=>intermediate foundations; elementary=>intermediate?) :thumbsup:

I gave up trying to read their minds a long time ago, but it seems to me that they changed the names to be more reflective of an actual level of competency, i.e., reality. Upon successful completion of grade 5, it always seemed to me that a student was functioning at an "elementary" level of competence in ballet. Now that they've called Higher Grades "Recreational Track" and Majors "Vocational Track", I guess they had to adjust everything.

that is fantastic news, you should be very pleased with your progress. Did you have a background of ballet as a child or were you a complete beginner.

Also out of interest, which school do you attend adult classes at in Arizona as there is a chance i may be moving there next year and want to find some good classes and i have a RAD background as a child and my adult classes now are taught by RAD teachers(not that it really matters now as i just want to dance and am happy to learn whatever technique I can get my hands on)

that is fantastic news, you should be very pleased with your progress. Did you have a background of ballet as a child or were you a complete beginner.

Also out of interest, which school do you attend adult classes at in Arizona as there is a chance i may be moving there next year and want to find some good classes and i have a RAD background as a child and my adult classes now are taught by RAD teachers(not that it really matters now as i just want to dance and am happy to learn whatever technique I can get my hands on)

Oh, I was brand new to ballet when I first started. I did have one semester of basic training in highschool but had pretty much forgotten what we had learned then. So adult beginners are not wihout hope, I guess. :ninja:

I attend Northern Arizona University (Flagstaff, aZ) preparatory school. We have two fantastic RAD teachers here. One former principal dancer and one former dancer department faculty member-I am not sure if I can give out names, but you are welcome to PM me and I can give you their contact info if you want. If you are moving to Phoenix area--which I think is a more likely case--you have School of Ballet Arizona, which I am not sure about the RAD part, but is a definitely good school. Good luck with finding a good school!