Ballet Talk for Dancers
sujet59

Ballet Schools in California - San Jose

sujet59

Can anyone tell me about the ballet school at Ballet San Jose Silicon Valley?

Guest oneparent

My daughter has been studying there for six years. What SPECIFICS do you want?

Agnes1022

Hi,

Are you aware of any studios or schools within 20 miles of San Jose, CA area where the emphasis is on Russian-style ballet?

Taradriver

There are several first rate schools in the San Jose area but none that I know teaches a purely Russian style.

Anyone else out there know of any?

Guest Ariana

Try Pacific Ballet in Mountain View

www.pacificballet.org

Edited by Ariana

Agnes1022

Thanks Ariana. Their director did reply to my inquiry and they do teach Russian school/ Vaganova method. When I am ready for Intermediate, I will start attending their school. For now, I will be attending the Beginner/Intermediate classes at Western Ballet, also in Mountain View.

Taradriver

I am very familiar with Pacific, however I would say their "style" is more eclectic than the purely Russian style. They do have a new teacher this year who teaches Russian style/Vaganova. It is a good school and a few of the recent grads are in companies (SFB, Ballet Met).

Agnes1022
I am very familiar with Pacific, however I would say their "style" is more eclectic than the purely Russian style. They do have a new teacher this year who teaches Russian style/Vaganova. It is a good school and a few of the recent grads are in companies (SFB, Ballet Met).

Taradriver, this is the information I got: On Mondays, Mary McCarthy teaches, and on Thursdays, Kim Boman (who teaches most of our adult classes) teaches.

Who is this new teacher that you mentioned, and which level class(es) does she teach?

Guest Ariana

Depends on the day and the level. Alexie, Maria Vegh, and Jim Strong are new full time faculty members.

Edited by Ariana

Taradriver

Maria Vegh wasn't around last year but she has taught there before, so she certainly isn't new to the school. She's a fantastic teacher, really knows her stuff.

I believe it is Alexie who teaches in the Russian style but you would have to verify that with the Director.

l321385

Mr. Alexie is the teacher who teaches Russian Style.

pmom

San Jose Dance Theatre offers Vaganova.  Former AD of Pacific, David Forrega teaches the men’s technique classes.   They sponsor master classes by professional dancers as well.