Ballet Talk for Dancers

Modern and Ballet

dance geek

• Administrators

dance geek, since there was a response on this thread, I deleted the other one in YD with the same question. We do not post the same topic on different forums here on Ballet Talk for Dancers.

Since you posted on YD 13-16, I'm going to assume you are not an adult, so the camp mentioned above might not be the right one for you. If you go to the SI forum, you will see a vast amount of information on all of the better known Summer Intensive programs in the country. However, most of them require auditions, which are generally done in January and February, so you might have a bit of a hard time getting in to one now. I also don't know your level or how much training you have, so it would be hard to recommend a program. Perhaps Joseph recommended the Richmond program because you are a beginning ballet student? If so, then that would be good.

Dance geek:

If you're a young adult (18 or younger) and just beginning, I would not recommend the Adult Dance Camps. It's traditionally skewed toward adults in their 30's - 50's which could make you feel somewhat out of place there. Also, it's designed for adults so the focus is on them. Younger dancers are allowed but the focus is on the adults.

You should ask your teacher where he or she recommends you should look or if you're ready for a summer intensive yet. Don't take it personally if they don't think you're ready. It can be very demanding physically so you need to be prepared.

Hi again -

Sorry dance geek - I did not realize that you are much younger - I agree, this would probably not be the best camp for you, as it is geared towards dancers who are much older :D

Do not get discouraged! Keep looking and you will find the right camp for you! As Ms. Leigh said, there are other sources of information on this board where you can find out about SIs and modern dance camps. :)

Best of luck, and when you turn pro, let us know so we can watch you perform (something us "old folks" don't get to do very much!) :D

Joseph11

I don't know if you will find much about modern dance SI's here, but many ballet SI's include modern--it depends on what you prefer to focus on.

Thank you but this website has too meany camps i would prefer a recommendation of 1 or 2 SI's. I do a lot of ballet but i would like to focus on modern and a bit of ballet for now.

We really don't do that - recommend one or two summer courses or schools - on this forum. But you certainly ought to look at the Summer Intensives category of this board. All the ones we've heard about are there, and the content of the threads will let you know about the modern dance component of the curricula. But remember, this board IS about ballet.

• 1 month later...

Good for you Dance Geek, that you realize the value of modern dance at a relatively early age. I firmly believe that dancers should study as many styles as they can cram into their schedule, and even for those interested primarily in a ballet track, modern dance is becoming more and more essential, for many reasons, but two of the better reasons, I think, are that modern dance can fast track you into becoming a more centered, aligned, and breathing dancer; the second reason is that so many choreographers now are favoring dancers who are as comfortable barefoot as en pointe (or in your case, in technique slippers).

Best of luck- try Idyllwild out in Southern California if you can swing it- they are highly regarded and I believe have a well rounded program.

Good for you Dance Geek, that you realize the value of modern dance at a relatively early age. I firmly believe that dancers should study as many styles as they can cram into their schedule, and even for those interested primarily in a ballet track, modern dance is becoming more and more essential, for many reasons, but two of the better reasons, I think, are that modern dance can fast track you into becoming a more centered, aligned, and breathing dancer; the second reason is that so many choreographers now are favoring dancers who are as comfortable barefoot as en pointe (or in your case, in technique slippers).

Best of luck- try Idyllwild out in Southern California if you can swing it- they are highly regarded and I believe have a well rounded program.

Does anyone know of any good schools for modern or jazz classes in Connecticut(preferably within 30 miles of New Haven)?