Ballet Talk for Dancers

Jazz classes

kiki

I am training intensivly in ballet in preparation for company auditions in the next couple years. I am considering adding a jazz class or two to my schedule and was wondering if this would be a good thing to do. I know many companies have a very broad rep and extra training in other forms of dance can be very helpful but I am also wondering if a jazz class would be helpful to me as a ballet dancer? Any insight on this?

• Administrators

Kiki, as long as you have the time and energy for it, why not?! It's fun, and it can help you become a more versatile dancer. I don't see any reason not to. Our students have modern dance in addition to all of their ballet and pointe, and we offer jazz in the summer. I would like to see them have a jazz class during the regular school year too. (But then there are a whole lot of things I would like them to have that are logistically impossible to fit into the schedule for students who attend a regular high school and not a full-time dance academy. I would like them to have ballet history, music, teacher training, Pilates, and choreography workshops!)

Guest nikdancer

kiki,

i've taken jazz alongside ballet for about five years and it's really great ...it has definately made me a more versatile dancer and has also relaly helped me develop my own style. I find my jazz calsses to be a bit more relaxed and loose so i can experiment a little more. I would definately suggest you try it out and if not jazz then maybe something else-- i mean i obviously love ballet but there is something to be said for other types of dance too and there are about a million so i kinda think dancers who only take one kind are cheating themselves. Go exploring!

I also have taken jazz and tap classes along with ballet, and I have found that not only does it help you become a more versatile dancer but it also throws off boundaries. Jazz has a similar technique but it allows yourself to be expressive in different ways. Good Luck!

J

I take jazz once a week, and it really helps me with my flexibility and strength - somehow it even helps me turn better! I love it because the music is so much fun and the class is so energetic. Plus, it adds a little more diversity to my schedule of ballet, ballet, and more ballet! The only thing i can say is that jazz often causes me to be VERY sore and I tend to get small injuries in jazz classes (like strained muscles) - so sometimes that can hinder your ballet. As long as you don't hurt yourself, i would go for it!