Ballet Talk for Dancers

spotting

Deanna

I know how to spot, except even when I do it for turns (any kind) I get dizzy close to the end of them and after I'm done. Isn't spotting supposed to prevent being dizzy?? I feel like the blood in the brain is still moving after turning.

• Administrators

Deanna, it sounds like you might be letting the spot go towards the end of the turns. This is not unusual, but if you doing a series of consecutive turns, you could still get dizzy.

I have another question related to the topic of spotting. I typically have no problem spotting during multiple pirouettes or other turns and can perform these steps cleanly. However, one of my teachers gave us an exercise that involved covering one eye during pirouettes, and I had some trouble staying on balance to make the turn and end it cleanly. Could I be spotting incorrectly if I had a problem during this exercise? My teacher advised us to spot the left eye in the mirror while turning to the right and vice versa.

Eenh! I wouldn't do that. Spotting in multiple pirouettes is hard enough to do without having to micromanage down to the eyelids. It might be useful for someone with eyes of sharply different acuity. Besides, it looks funny.

Spoting with one eye closed? I've never heard of that before. I have hard enough time spotting with both eyes. I can't imagine just one! :lol:

My teacher used the combination as an exercise to practice spotting and ensure that the class was spotting correctly. Of course, spotting with one eye closed is not exactly a part of classical ballet repertory! :lol: It is a somewhat awkward exercise, and it is certainly a test of balance and coordination!

• 1 month later...
Guest sugarplummy5

That seems really strange! It seems that with only one eye open, the effects on depth perception, balance, etc. would be such that even if one were spotting correctly it would still be difficult. Then again, maybe it does work, I have no idea.

• 2 weeks later...

Make sure that when you start your turn you are really focused on the spot. When I turn on stage its usually very dark in the theater so you have to imagine your spot. Make sure the neck is compleatly relaxed and that your chin stays on the same level the entire time! Sounds strange i know but if the head stays straight and the eyes stay focused then all should be well. When you become dizzy it is only because the fluid in you Canals (ears) is basically swishing around, your job during piroettes is to keep that fluid as still as possible to stop you from becoming dizzy!