Ballet Talk for Dancers

Darcey Bussell

I found this (You tube video) of Darcey's last performance. It is so moving to watch, and I do wish her the best.

Edited by moderator to remove link to You Tube as per our policy

Edited by Clara 76

Missy12784, thanks for the comments about Ms Bussell's final performance. I watched the live broadcast here in the UK and was in tears at the end.

But we don't allow YouTube links here, and the one you give us almost certainly links to copyrighted material, and is probably contravening the legal copyrights of Ms Bussell herself and the BBC. I'm afraid a Moderator will have to remove your link.

I was in the audience.

To be honest I'm not a fan of the piece myself. Jonathan Cope said it is Kenneth MacMillan's finest ballet - well it might be his finest in Mr Cope's opinion, but I can think of at least 3 more that I feel are better than this work.

That aside, it was a very emotional moment. Looking around me I cannot find anyone who wasn't moved. I certainly had a tear in my eye. I got Mr Fish to record the program off the TV and when I watched it after I got home it was like re-living it all over again, and I cried all over again.

What the clip on YouTube didn't show was that Darcey took a few more curtain calls. Afterwards, at least another 10 people (some of them company dancers) lined up to present bouquets to Darcey. There were so many bouquets lined up they almost got all the way back to the wings!

Last night showed how much the company, and Britain, loves our ballerina, and how much we will miss her.

Sorry Moderators, I didn't realize that Youtube videos are not permitted here.

No problem Missy! I fixed it. :blushing:

There is an article in the NY Times today about 4 retiring prima ballerinas including Ms. Bussell--here is the link--http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/10/arts/dance/10maca.html?ex=1339041600&en=79a58592876685b6&ei=5124&partner=permalink&exprod=permalink

wow fish, you were very lucky, I watched the broadcast and found it wasn't what I expected, I thought it was a great performance and very emotional but still I would've prefered to see her in a happy ending - to go out on a high. Watching made me feel really sad, I have loved Darcy since I was a little girl and have followed her progress, I will truly miss her performances :giveup:

I saw that article 2llori :giveup:

I also watched the video, and almost cried seeing her so emotional. I imagine that has to be the hardest choice. Deciding to leave the thing you have devoted your whole life to. Her final bow must have been just heartbreaking!

Related to the article, I was lucky enugh to get tickets to Ferri's last performance of R and J. I'm enormously exicited about that!!!

I watched the television broadcast of her final Covent Garden performance with the RB, and I thought that the piece was perfect for a farewell. Marvellous music - Mahler's Das Lied von der Erde (Song of the Earth) which is about the natural cycle of life and death, and the final vision of the dancer hand in hand with the messenger of Death, walking gradually towards the future unknown as the curtains close -- reminded me of that wonderful phrase from Hamlet about death as "the undiscovered country." Very moving in a most profound way.

It was sad to see her leave. She was such an amazing dancer. The farewell was nice though. Very touching speeches. :)