Ballet Talk for Dancers

crooked toes!!!

Guest i love dance!!!

Guest i love dance!!!

I have a problem and that problem just happens to be my toes. you see I don't know if anyone else has this but my big toes aren't straight I know other dancers have this as well, but I was wondering if it's natural or if it's being caused by something else?If you have this problem or can give me an awnser then please do. Thank you for taking time out of your day to read this. :helpsmilie:

• Administrators

Do you mean that the big toe is tilting slightly towards the second toe?

• Administrators

No, it's not terribly unusual. However, it does sometimes mean that you are more prone to having a bunion problem. It would be a good idea to wear a separator in your shoes, at least in your street shoes, and wear a thong shoe as much as possible. This will, hopefully, help to keep the toe from going more off center. If your pointe shoes hurt at the joint at the base of the toe, then wear the separator in the pointe shoes too. You might need to make your own so that you can cut them smaller for the pointe shoes. They are just foam rubber things. You can buy them in any drug store, in the Dr. Scholls rack.

I also have this oddity. My big toes have been like this since I can remember and don't normally hurt when I go en pointe. As long as they don't cause you pain...

not to worry...

Generally, that's the key indicator. No pain, no real problem. A slightly inclined big toe is not bad if it doesn't hurt or get in the way of your doing anything. If it's so turned that it crosses OVER the second toe, then that's a real problem, even just for walking and would need prompt attention.

My second toes are curved towards my third toes. They never hurt, but just look strange! Is it at all possible to straighten them?

Why? If they're not causing any trouble, don't worry about them. Cosmetically, it's no big deal. The distal (far) ends of every toe are slightly everted (slanted), so don't fight nature unless nature is fighting you!

• 4 years later...

I have this problem also...I know I have bunions and my big toe bone is slanted inward. Today during dance, my bunion area felt like...I don't really know...like it was aching? I wear spacers in my pointe shoes, they are the see through rubber(I bought them), and I saw that Ms. Leigh said to wear spacers in regular shoes, so would you wear it, for example, in your school shoes? And what's a thong shoe?

Sorry, this is a confusing question!

ballet_fanatic, you may need to be re-fit in different pointe shoes, and see a podiatrist who works with dancers. If they are starting to hurt/ache at your young age, it is time we take a look at what the issue is.

A "thong" is a flip-flop type shoe, I believe.

Well...where I live...you really can't! I'm using Mirella Advanced and it's the best shoes for me. It's just sometimes??? And what's a podiatrist? Sorry! >.<

Ok! That mkes sense!

A Podiatrist is a doctor who specializes in feet! Most professional ballet companies will have someone they recommend because their dancers need this type of doctor. You might try calling the nearest professional company to see whom they recommend.

And about getting different shoes- head over to the Pointe Shoe forum. :grinning: You can fill out a form for Miss DeVor and she can recommend shoes for you, or you can post a link to photos of your feet and we can help that way!

Ok thanks! I'm sure the company I dance with knows a doctor, I just haven't asked! >.<

Where is that? And where and what do I tell her?

Edited by ballet_fanatic