Ballet Talk for Dancers

Pirouette exercises at home or gym

Agnes1022

When at home or at the gym, does one first need to do warm-up exercises before engaging in pirouette exercises? If so, which warm-ups do you suggest?

Oh, most certainly!

You should do a quicky barre containing the major elements, as plié, tendu, degagé, rond de jambe, frappé, developpé, and petit and grand battement, at least!

Thank you!!! Will most certainly follow your recommendation.

When I do what I call ballet basics, a 15-30 minute practice that includes some turning exercises, I always start with some tendus and degages as well as some balances just to get the feel of my center. In a 15 minute ballet basics, that might mean only doing so for 5 minutes.

Certainly, many many times I have done a pirouette or two or three absolutely cold as something of a nervous twitch rather than a practice and have been fine. I will say that doing some basic exercises first, things like tendus and balances, does make for more consistent and pleasurable performance. Ideally, your practice should mirror a class if you have sufficient time.

The kitchen counter can substitute for the barre at home; but at the gym, where the group classes are held, there is nothing to hold on to. I looked at the machines, and while I can certainly hold onto these, the height is higher than either a barre or the kitchen counter. I didn't think that height should be a cause for concern if my focus is to get my hips and legs warmed up. Any thoughts on this?

Exactly how high are the machines? At our gym most of the machines are at least chest level. I would think that would cause some problems because your arm would automatically be too high and would throw off your balance........then trying to take that arm and readjust it to first would throw you off again. The only way I see that it would not be a problem would be if you are balancing with the arms in fifth and had to take the barre (or machine) arm up rather than down.

WM

Most of the machines are at least chest level for me, especially because I am below 5' tall. So you bring an excellent point, WendyMichelle. Alternatively, I can hold onto the racks that hold the balance ######. I remember that bars serving as shelves are lower. I'll keep watch for correct-height apparatuses to hold onto.

Can you get up beside a treadmill? Usually they have barres that are of decent height.

Can you get up beside a treadmill? Usually they have barres that are of decent height.

What a great idea!! I can definitely make use of the treadmills during off-peak hours. Thanks TemptressToo.