Ballet Talk for Dancers
little_dancer123

Ballets: Fancy Free

little_dancer123

Anyone seen it? If so, what did you think? I saw ABT do it and I thought it was really funny! The three men were Ethan Stiefel, Jose Carreno and Herman Cornejo. The three women were Gillian Murphy, Stella Abrera and Carmen Corella.

From little_dancer123 x :D

Victoria Leigh

little dancer, this is a wonderful ballet, choreographed by Jerome Robbins, back in the early 1940's (1944), when world War II was going on. It was also very fun to dance when I did it many years later. (I only did the third girl, which is not a very big role, but still fun!) This has been in the ABT repertoire ever since, and even though perhaps a bit dated, it is indeed a very fun work. :D

pavlova

The music by Leonard Bernstein is absolutely wonderful as well! My favorite piece from the Fancy Free score is "Danzon". When I listen to it I hear shades of "West Side Story", still to come. I have never seen the ballet performed, but it must be amazing with such fabulous music.

Liz Power

Just in case you want more, it got expanded into the show On The Town (not to be confused with Wonderful Town, another Leonard Bernstein show about New York), and there's a wonderful 1949 movie with Gene Kelly, Frank Sinatra, Ann Miller, and Betty Garrett. It's silly, of course, but great fun and Ann Miller and Gene Kelly were two of the best musical theater dancers of their era.

Victoria Leigh

Right, Liz, and I did that show too....again, in a revival much later of course! :) Actually, it was in a production at the Coconut Grove Playhouse, in Miami. And, I did that prior to ABT, so, did the show before the ballet. I had almost forgotten that!

Liz Power

That's so cool, Ms. Leigh! What part did you play?

Victoria Leigh

Ah Liz, that was even before ABT days, so I was doing my first professional shows! I was just a dancer in chorus, but, I got my Equity card there, doing Show Boat and On the Town. :)

Liz Power

Well, I'm jealous. :) I love being in dancing chorus.

And one question—I think I qualify for the Buddy Board now, how do I go about gaining access?

Victoria Leigh

You gain access by asking, once you qualify, which you do, so you are now a member. :P

Liz Power

Thank you!