Ballet Talk for Dancers

Help Needed with Pre-Pointe Shoes

TwelfthNight

Oh, I am definitely understanding everything you are saying. There is no misunderstanding nor is anything getting lost in the translation. I fully agree. The point is getting DD's instructor to believe this. We just paid $550 for this summer intensive and there is no way we can pull her out at this time. The immediate remedy would be to allow her to continue the intensive but not allow her to not particpate in the pre pointe class. We called the store where we purchased the shoes and they even said these were the shoes everyone in the area is using to do work at the barre. They are distinguishing en pointe work from just going up with the support of the barre. So, this is not just something that is happening at DD's studio. I am not disagreeing at all and apologize if it came across as that.

No one else in DD's class seems to be upset that they are going all the way up in these shoes. The problem is I can not just quickly leave this studio with no other place anywhere near the quality of this studio within well over 100 miles. I feel a decision like that needs to be evaluated further. As I said, she can still continue to take the intensive, just not the pre pointe class.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mel Johnson

• TwelfthNight

• Taradriver

• SweetPetite1

I'm normally very reluctant to suggest somebody just find a new studio based on one issue but what your daughter's teacher is doing is definitely WRONG, as is the age for pointework and other issues by the sounds of it. If there were an alternative studio nearby I would definitely say you should go to it. As there isn't you need to try to resolve the immediate problem and keeping her out of the pre-pointe class seems a good option. I personally would not even let her take the shoes with her in case she decides to give it another go or in case her teacher makes her put them on. Could she just do the class in her slippers and not go beyond demi-pointe? It's better than missing the class completely.

Keep looking for an alternative, decent school, you never know, there might be one nearby that's just hiding! You probably would rather not disclose where you are based but if you did you might get responses from people who know other schools in the area...

I can not just quickly leave this studio with no other place anywhere near the quality of this studio within well over 100 miles.

But, you see, therein lies the rub: The inappropriate use of the pre-pointe shoes in this class directly contradicts the assessment that this studio is of high enough quality to earn your complete trust in their methods. Just because every studio in the area mis-uses pre-pointe shoes (in direct contravention of the manufacturer's warnings), of course, doesn't make them right. This particular issue is more than a matter of philosophical disagreement as to when a child is ready for point. It is a blatant misuse of the pre-pointe shoes and a dangerous disregard of the manufacturer's instructions for the safe use of its product.

I do agree that you are in a rock and a hard place. But your solution to continue with the intensive (hopefully, the rest of the instruction is more appropriate), but to have your DD skip the pre-pointe class or simply do it in soft slippers seems to be the best compromise under the circumstances.

Guest pink tights

CourtneyS, since you have not disclosed your location (and I certainly understand why)and you don't have enough posts for PM's, perhaps you could email a few of our teacher/moderators for studio suggestions in your area. The ballet community is small--someone might know of an excellent teacher or studio (diamonds in the rough!) in your part of the world.

As for the other parents not questioning the teacher, ignorance is not always bliss, as they will soon find out. Some parents take a great deal of pride in the fact that "my little darling" is the first to go up en pointe. Others either don't care or haven't a clue.

• Administrators

Courtney, if you can find the Contact Us or Contact an Administrator link, that will come to me. But I'm going to post my email here for you anyway. If I don't know anyone in that area, I can find people I know who will know!

No one else in DD's class seems to be upset that they are going all the way up in these shoes.

There are probably other girls in pain also, but they are just too excited about being on pointe to show it in public.

And there is always herd mentality, as shown in lemmings.

Yeesh. May I add to Major Mel's succinct post: herd mentality and $$$$$. After all, if we don't get 'em up on their toes in kinda real ballerina shoes, they may go somewhere else and we'll lose money.

CourtneyS - so sorry for all of this. Hope Ms. Leigh can find you a brilliant teacher close by!

To contact an Administrator: Scroll down to the very bottom of the main menu page of Ballet Talk for Dancers. You will see this: Today's active topics · The moderating team · Today's top 10 posters · Overall top 10 posters

Click on "The Moderating Team" and that will take you to a page that gives you the list of Moderators. If you then click on the name of the Moderator whom you'd like to contact, a Profile page will come up with a 'Communicate' box to the right. Click on where it says "Send an e-mail" and that will go to the Mod.

There has to be options for you and your dd. B)

Courtney, I know our daughters are the about the same age and going through a similar experience right now. My daughter just finished her jr intensive and is taking extended session classes 2x week for 5 weeks through July. The girls did a 60-90 min technique class and about 15-20 min on demi's. They are Sansha demi's, not pre-pointe shoes. The girls have gone up on their toes at the barre, but they do not roll up, the place their weight directly on the toe for barely a minute. I haven't seen the class, but that's my daughter's explanation. Otherwise, releve/demi pointe is as high as the get. Our school also just extends the levels from 5 to 8 to and is slowing our beginning pointe year to a nice slow level. It's just such a slow process. The first year pointe girls have their own SI and everything. Very conservative approach, very safe, very slow. I know you might not feel like there aren't many options, but we already have one girl in our class with over use injuries because her and her mother just push, push, push at the studio and at home.

Oh, and for padding, we found the Ouch Pouch Jr is nice and not too thick. I think it's the only thing the girls are allowed to use if they choose to pad. Well, the jr and the original.

Best wishes!

• 2 weeks later...

When my daughter was in pre-pointes, she used the Sansha demi pointes, which her teacher called pre-pointe shoes. Anyway, they were never allowed to go past demi pointe. The whole 15 minute class was rolling up to demi-pointe and releves. That's it. It was only when she was deemed strong enough for pointe shoes that she went en pointe.

That's the way pre-pointe (demi-pointe, soft block) shoes are used! Now, I hope that when she went to pointe, she was using real pointe shoes.

That's the way pre-pointe (demi-pointe, soft block) shoes are used! Now, I hope that when she went to pointe, she was using real pointe shoes.

:unsure: Yes, she used real pointe shoes, the first time she went en pointe. I've lost count how many we've bought in the last year! :o

There is no misunderstanding nor is anything getting lost in the translation. I fully agree. The point is getting DD's instructor to believe this. We just paid $550 for this summer intensive and there is no way we can pull her out at this time.

No one else in DD's class seems to be upset that they are going all the way up in these shoes.

Courtneysunshine -

How can you be certain nothing is being lost in the translation? All you have to go on is the word of you DD, who is in pain and crying - you have admitted in a previous post that you dont know much about ballet - you said "they assume everyone knows the proper names, etc. for all the ballet moves and accessories that go with ballet"

What does $550 have to do with not pulling your DD out, if you are so convinced, as the moderators here seem to be, that you should run from such an unsafe environment? If my DD wasnt safe, I wouldnt care how much I had into it.

you said "DD has been going to this studio for seven years now and they are really the best place around. They have produced many quality dancers. Her instructors are well known and highly respected so we are reluctant to leave"

I find it hard to believe that these type of people would "ruin their daughters feet." Three different ages have been posted for their child - for all I know none of the ages you posted are correct - get your facts straight.

Hey, I'm not a moderator - but let's be nice to one another please. Use your manners, girls!