Ballet Talk for Dancers

What is RAD like?

Guest attitude

Guest attitude

This year I started at a new school and while I had one incredible teacher I'm not satisfied with the syllabus. There are some nice exercises and it's very dancey but for the most part I felt like they try to put too much in some of the exercise that they look so messy and feel so awkward even if I've done all the steps perfectly. But that's not really what I don't like about it, I felt like it doesn't give enough foundation for strength and technique. I'm a "recreational" dancer but I take my training seriously. I am looking for something that really concentrates on building strentgh and technique. Which is why I want to hear what people think of RAD. I'd also like to hear about Checcheti (sp) and Vaganova but I don't think I'll be able to find a school that teaches these syllabi that's less than an hour away.

Thanks

• Administrators

Attitude, I still believe that it is not the syllabus but the teaching that is important. How the various methods are taught is what makes all the difference. And you might fight an excellent school and teacher who does not adhere rigidly to any one set syllabus and yet still teaches very fine ballet classes that build technique and strength. Explore your options. Look at everything that is available in your area. Watch the classes, study the advanced dancers, and look for the ones who have technique and strength but still MOVE, and are not beautiful only at the barre. Good teaching can create this, and you will recognize it when you see it, and it doesn't matter if it is RAD, Cecchetti, Vaganova, or a mixture with no exam preparations to deal with. eek.gif

Guest attitude

Thank you Miss Leigh, I knew all along that it's the teaching that matters and not the syllabus and I knew you were going to say that smile.gif . I am being nitpicky because to me it feels like I'm dancing really bad choreography and to be doing that several times a week...

I know what to look for in students as well and I haven't seen it here (I feel really awful saying that). I don't quite understand it because we have a really good teacher. The girls have passed they're exams so they must be up to standards. Perhaps I am being too critical. Perhaps I'm also frustrated by my slow improvement which stems from not being able to take enough classes (there are only two classes a week per level and that is nowhere near enough just to memorise all the exercises let alone master them).