Ballet Talk for Dancers

Attack of the stinky shoe

Guest pink tights

Guest pink tights

Help! I've been attacked by the stinky leather ballet flats! Anyone ever washed leather successfully? DD loves leather, but doesn't like "new shoes" as they take a while to break-in. I've thought of Febreeze, but I hate the way the stuff smells.

I've heard of dancers sticking a fabric softener sheet in each shoe after class. I don't know if this is okay in terms of the leather, or how well it works, but it's an idea. I don't like Febreeze, either!

Sure, you can wash leather shoes. Just toss them in the washer. Just don't put them in the dryer!

Pink, in addition to these ideas, depending on the softness of the leather you could try turning the slippers inside out in order to let the insoles dry thoroughly at the end of a sweaty day.

Guest pink tights

Thanks, Major Johnson, I just tossed the stinky shoes in the wash. Washed them inside-out and have hung them up to dry.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Guest pink tights

Yes, you can machine wash canvas. I've used gentle cycle, cold water, then hung them up to dry. You can put them in the dryer, but they will shrink up a bit. Good if they have stretched out from numerous washings/wearings, bad if your DK's feet are still growing!

Thanks, pink tights! I just came across a pair of "formerly DS's" white canvas shoes. Size 11. Men's. Hardly worn. He's now an HS, hockey son, traded in his tech shoes for hockey skates. Plan on donating the shoes to the ballet school - after washing.