Ballet Talk for Dancers

Stiff Hips?

Guest Ileene

• Administrators

Ileene, it probably means there is a lack of flexibility in the hips, meaning no rotation or no extension, or both. Most likely deals with rotation.

• Administrators

Ileene, 70 degrees of "natural" rotation, or 70 degrees of learned rotation, that is, what you can work with, like in first position? If it is the later, then that is not really close enough to the desired 90 degrees to be considered flexible in terms of rotation.

Guest linsusanr

Hello, I do know that I have always had very stiff hips. It is one of my greatest sources of frustration in ballet, but of course I still enjoy dancing very much. I don't know if I'll ever be able to do a full split. I try to do a hip flexor stretch (on one knee, back straight) frequently, but that doesn't seem to help very much. Any other suggestions for general attempts to loosen up a little more? (I checked out the archives already -- I've tried most of those, too!). Thank you in advance!

Now, a grand écart (split) does depend on looseness and openness from the hips, but even more, flexibility through the hamstrings. But in the larger scheme of things, the flat, down-to-the-floor split isn't as all-fired important as it might seem! :) You can get the best results if you save them for your after-class "warmdown", when all the muscles are nice and warm and you can do nice relaxing exercises that are more passive - letting gravity do a lot of the work for you. You can even include a couple of jambe/pied dans la main (detiré) stretches before you try for splits. :)

Guest linsusanr

Thank you Major Johnson for your reply and advice. It is good to hear that splits aren't everything! I guess in general I'd just really like to improve my rotation given the stiff hips. I'm working on it and I know results come gradually so I'm trying to be patient. I also know my body has its limits but I always get dewey-eyed when I see all those really naturally flexible dancers! :)

Just keep trying to be patient, and succeed at that, and you can just about succeed at anything; it's a good attitude! :) Keep it up!