Ballet Talk for Dancers

Abuse in class

Black tights

I will be 13 in a couple of days so I hope it is OK to post this.

My male ballet teacher in class has lately been calling my dancing woossy and me a wooss. Is it OK to just walk out of class when he does that?

Thank you.

Edited by Black tights
  • Administrators

Black tights, I'm sorry, but you must wait until you are really 13. Please let me know the date that happens, and I will unblock you and restore your posting privilege. In the meantime, this topic is closed. You will need to write to me via email at VLeigh7023@aol.com

I will be 13 in a couple of days so I hope it is OK to post this.

My male ballet teacher in class has lately been calling my dancing woossy and me a wooss. Is it OK to just walk out of class when he does that?

Thank you.

But in the meantime, here's some advice.

A teacher has no right to pose a general insult to a student. You are correct in feeling injured by such a practice. It is bad for discipline if the only form of enforcement is the verbal equivalent of a paddle. Saying, "your arms shouldn't wave like that and the wrists break. The girls can get away with that, but not us!" That's very very different from just calling somebody a name.

You do have the right to complain if your morale is insulted. The best way is after class, after you have tried your best to comply with the teacher's instruction. Maybe a meeting with the teacher, your parents and you might be in order. But if you just plain can't stand it, then you do have the right to walk out. If the provocation is so gross, you may even say something like, "When you call me that, I feel.... Therefore, I'm not continuing with this class today." One of two things will happen; either things will get better quick, or they will get worse. If they get worse, get away from this teacher and stay as far away from him as you can. This is called stress-avoidance.

That said, we men have to take a lot of guff for being ballet dancers. That means developing a thick skin, but you shouldn't have to defend yourself from your teacher!!!

Now, on your birthday (Which is what? Day after tomorrow?), get in touch with Ms. Leigh immediately, and there'll be more advice! :wub: