Ballet Talk for Dancers

basics / principals of ballet

skip

i hope that anyone can help me. not too long ago, there was a topic that discussed the 5 / 7 (???) basics of ballettechnique (like plier / porter / relever .... and so on)

but i couldn't find it

can someone help me? because it's for my big assignment about ballet

thanks

~SKIP~

[ December 10, 2001: Message edited by: Skip ]

• Administrators

Skip, I believe you are referring to the 8 movements in dance (not just ballet technique). These are basics ways of moving, not steps, therefore would apply to all forms of dance. They are: plier, étendre, elevé/relevé, tourner, glisser, sauter, elancer, and piquer. So, one can bend, stretch, rise, turn, glide, jump, dart, and prick or jab. The last one is not always including as a movement in dance, but I do think it applys, as a piqué action is quite different from an elevé or relevé action.

I remember reading the other post when these movements were discussed, but since then I got to thinking about them, and the only one I don't hear about a lot is élancer (to dart). So, I was wondering if that is very common in early/ intermediate classical ballet technique...or what kinds of steps use this motion? Are they more advanced motions, or do they ever go by a different name, etc? Is élancer an actual motion, or is it sort of an adjective describing the way a motion is done...as in a darting manner? Thanks for clearing this up for me.

• Administrators

How about sissonnes and grand jetés, Hjete? wink.gif

Well, of course! So it is the style with which the movement is done, I take it. I was just making sure that I wasn't missing some great step called an "élancé"! wink.gif haha I suppose lots of things can be done in a darting manner....like most petit allegro steps. Thanks for the reply!

• Administrators

Yep, petit and grand allegro steps can be darting movements smile.gif