Ballet Talk for Dancers
DanceMom

Boston Ballet/Grace Performing Arts Academy

thesims2pets

Wrong post

Edited by thesims2pets

myrtha

my daughter, dance lab student, auditioned for the year round program though my husband and i feel she may be a bit too young to be away from home even though her aunt lives there. The residential price seems quite high when compared to other schools such as NCSA for even out of state students. I cannot seem to get much information regarding the academic schooling such as -Is it at the boston ballet or at the residential facility...or can though go to public school and live at the residency...depending on where it isbecause if it's in the inner city...then the public school wouldn't work-Does anyone know anything else about this program?They sent out the e-mail with the link to the Performing Arts School but information is not in detail-

2thepointe

The residential and academic program information is posted on the Boston Ballet website. Residential program cost is 18K. Academic program cost is 10K. Cost of Boston Ballet training is by level. There are separate costs depending on the plan you select. For example, there is extra cost associated with taking pilates or jazz, and if you are adding additional morning classes. So the cost of tuition for Sept.-June can run from approximately 4K up to 5.2K. That doesn't include additional cost if the student chooses to be in the Fall and/or Spring Performance Groups. So doing the math, the total cost, not including books and fees and computer and normal living expenses can run up to 40K per year.

Rhapsody

What is the trainee schedule for a first year trainee?

What is the tuition cost for first year trainee? I didn't see this listed on the Tuition Information page.

I don't know about anyone else but I get nervous when the tuition information is full of alternative payment plans but the actual cost is not disclosed as well. Reminds me of a certain orthodontist. :offtopic:

myrtha

looking at the cost, it is overwhelmingly high...First year of a private college...NCSA is $17,000-for out of state students but it includes academics, dance training and room and board. Even though Boston has wonderful training, it is REALLY hard to justify the cost... as least for my daughter who just turned 13-

dufay

I think $10k for what seems to be a cyber/correspondence program is ridiculous.

Stork

40K a year....Oh my. And I thought 48K a year for NYU was a bit much. I just think that this level of cost for ballet training is bordering on the ridiculous. Even a very talented dancer with a tuition scholarship (and I an not even saying they exist) would still be paying a large sum of money for room, board and schooling.

jmh4

Trainee Schedule (For dds - not including Nutcracker or other Company rehearsals & performances)

Mon: !0:00-11:30 - Technique

11:30-12:30 Pointe

2:3--4:00 Technique

Tues: 9:00-10:00 -pilates

10:00-11:30 - Technique

11:30-1:00 - Pas de Deaux

2:30-400 - Technique

Wed: 10:00-11:30 - Technique

11:30 -12:30 - Pointe

2:30-4:00 -Technique

Thurs: 10:00 - 11:30 - Technique

11:30-1:00 -Pas de Deux

2:30-4:00 - Technique

Fri: 10-11:30 -Technique

11:30-12:30 - Pointe

2:30-4:00 -Technique

Sat.10:00- 1130 - Technique

11:30- 12:30- Pointe

1:30-2:30- (monthly) Professional Development

Pilates & Jazz also offered as enrichment on Sat. Men have separate Pas, as well as Strength training classes. Tuition is $5k+. Rehearsals will undoubtedly be scheduled evenings & weekends. Trainees will be used for Nutcracker as well as other company peformances at the discretion of the artistic staff. Also in BBS Ensemble ($200-$400?)

Residential & academic arrangements (if needed) are additional & are new to the program this year. Boston is an expensive city, but I'm not sure how 2thepointe came up with the $40k figure. That seems high to me even for Boston.

2marzipans

Add the costs of travel to bring your dk home for vacations and back again, and also audition costs if they are at an age to audition for companies. It would definitely be out of our reach, especially since my dd wanted to stay more than one year in post grad training. However, the trainee schedule looks good.

2thepointe

jmh4:

10K-academics

18K-residential program

4K-6K (Boston Ballet training adding in all the extras and performance costs)

7K-living expenses (books, fees, computer, pointe shoes, spending money, outings, travel;dd could easily top this number!)

That's how I came up with the 40K estimate.

There are other levels in the program besides the Trainee level. The paperwork and tuition costs plan that I received were specific to my daughter's assigned level. Perhaps the costs are different for a Trainee. I sure hope so!

2thepointe

Here is a sample of one of the ADVANCED intensive student schedules for the BB year-round program. The earliest class starts at 4 PM.

Monday Technique

Tuesday Technique and Pointe

Wednesday Technique and Pointe

Thursday Technique and Pointe

Friday Technique

Saturday Technique and Modern

Mens classes are scheduled for Wednesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays

Enrichment classes are offered at separate cost for Pilates, Jazz, and Professional Development lectures on Saturdays. Elective morning classes are also offered at separate cost Monday thru Friday.

DD was told by the director of the program that if she felt she wanted more classes, she could take them as part of the regular BB program schedule (probably at additional cost). :)

mom2

Seems to me as though there's quite a difference between Advanced and Trainee, or am I missing something? :)

Do the advanced students not have things like rep/pdd? Men's classes only three days/week? Modern only once? Nothing in the realm of character? I guess if you don't start class until four pm there's only so much that can be fit in.....

On the other hand, kudos to Boston Ballet for putting more effort into developing a full-time, comprehensive program. Hopefully over the next months and years they'll be able to round out the classes a bit more (perhaps starting the advance level classes a bit earlier), and the cost will be a bit more parent-friendly.

m2

its the mom

Boston is a very expensive city to live in, typical of any large city in the U.S. I think the $18,000 figure is a fair one because it includes meals and a house parent. A decent studio apartment runs around $1200-1500. I cannot comment on the academics, as I do not know what program they will be using. Many of the trainees (not all) are already done with school, so academics are a non-issue for them.

It appears that men trainees will have separate men's classes on Monday, Wednesday and Friday during the day. They will also undoubtedly be able to attend the evening men's classes if they choose. mom2- the advanced 2i students do get pas class, according to my son. He also said that many of the advanced students take the morning elective classes, so that they have two technique classes a day.

Again, as I have stated before, I believe that Boston is moving in the right direction. It looks as if they have focussed their attention this year on getting a residence up and running, and intensifying the trainee program. Their goal is to make the trainee program much more competitive. They have a well-rounded group of teachers chosen for the trainee group. I can also add that many of the trainees and advanced students benefit greatly from working with the company in company productions. In addition, this past year several trainees were chosen to work and perform with BBII. Many of those students were hired into BBII for the coming year.

I think that in the coming years we will see the rest of the program intensify.

jmh4

2thepointe. I'm curious - what were you told was included in terms of academics? I was under the impression the program was strictly a tutoring situation, where students were responsible for their own courses & materials.

Perhaps that has changed, hence the 10k pricetag. I haven't seen the cost for the academics & housing listed anywhere.