Ballet Talk for Dancers
DanceMom

Boston Ballet/Grace Performing Arts Academy

Stork

Here is the info from the web site on Academics:

Grace Performing Arts Academy:

Academic Program - $10,000*/school year

Our academic program offers an individualized, flexible, and competitive education designed to

meet each student’s personal goals. Our services include:

• full-time study

• approximately 12.5 hours of instruction/week

• approximately 7.5 hours of “directed study” available/week (time when a tutor is

available to assist students in small groups on an as needed basis)

• exam proctoring

• guidance developing an appropriate course of study

• assistance and counseling for post graduation plans

• quarterly progress reports to parents

*This is a full academic program utilizing a nationally accredited on-line curriculum. Customized programs are also available for students needing less than full-time.

**Books and materials extra

There are no tuition refunds.

Residential info from the website:

Grace Performing Arts Academy

Residential Program - $18,000/school year

Our residential program offers a safe and nurturing “home away from home”. Students will enjoy the camaraderie of living in this community environment and parents will be assured that their child is being well cared for in our safe and supportive community. Our services include:

• live-in supervision (staff member available 24hrs/day)

• breakfast and dinner daily

• double bedroom with bed, bureau, desk, and chair

• Internet access

• age appropriate programs and activities available*

• assistance with medical appointments

• assistance with travel arrangements

• on-going communication with parents

*some trips may be at additional cost

There are no tuition refunds.

its the mom

Just to compare - I looked at what the Rock School charges for their RAPA program and on their website they list that the 2005-2006 costs were: $8400 academics, $15,800 room and board, and $5300 dance tuition. I don't know if those costs have increased, but it would seem feasible that they have, and would put them pretty close to what Boston is charging.

Treefrog
Residential info from the website:

Grace Performing Arts Academy

Our services include:

• breakfast and dinner daily

Dancers don't need to eat lunch? :) Right here, this would give me pause about how "safe and nurturing" this home away from home is.

2marzipans

As long as someone mentioned RAPA's costs, I feel I need to mention CPYB's program. Tuition - under $2,000 (with a scholarship) for unlimited classes, host family - $800 a month (this cost varies, but this is what we paid one year), academics - FREE if attending Carlisle Public High School.

Stork

Since many of the students will be away dancing part of the day, I suspect that covering two meals is practical. From SI experience, I always resented paying for three meals, and then having my dancer have to pay for a meal because she was dancing at meal time, or because she wanted something "different." It's just that $18,000, and only 2/3 of their meals are covered...

its the mom

2marzipans - Is Carlisle Public High School still free? There was talk of them charging the out-of-state students attending CPYB when we were there. It is pretty amazing that CPYB has been able to keep its costs down, but you must remember where CPYB is located, the cost of living differences, and that classes are held in a warehouse and a barn.

Treefrog - while I do agree, I found several other residence programs that offer the same thing - breakfast and dinner. It does seem a bit odd.

jmh4

Alot of this information is new to me. (Thanks Stork) The academic guidelines have changed a bit (Thanks - 2thepointe). At that time there was not an accredited program - only individual coursework through other academic institutions.

I think BB is really forging ahead with this program. Because it is new I suspect some of the info is constantly being added to & updated. I'm sure like any new venture it will require a bit of fine tuning.

I have to agree with its the mom; the neighborhood, the quality of the studios, ( have you seen the studios?), cost of living in Boston all are factors in overall cost. Frankly, I think this is destined to be a great thing once the details are worked out.

P.S. Dd thinks Boston Ballet has the nicest studios she has ever danced in - anywhere.

mom2

*moderator hat on*

Please remember to keep to the topic of the Boston Ballet program. I know it's quite natural to make some kind of camparisons to other programs, but we need to stay as close to topic as we can.

If need be, we could create a new thread to be more general about meal plans (or even living arrangements) at residential programs. I can't remember off the top of my head if a thread like that already exists...will go check.

For now - thanks to everyone for the information on the new Boston efforts!

m2

2marzipans

its the mom -

For us the bottom line was, where can our daughter get great training at a reasonable cost for our family? To all of you who can afford the Boston program, that's great.

Mel Johnson

Mom2's point about staying on topic is very well taken. Comparing Boston with other programs may be of interest to many, but it is not the topic of this thread. Comparing schools is not only invidious, it is often not even the comparison between apples and oranges. Sometimes it is more like loquats and quinces.

bostongirl

I actually stayed at grace last year so if anyone has anyone questions i can give some first hand feedback!

i am not staying there again this year because it is too costly even with scholarship so I am staying in an apartment (let me know if you are interested in rooming with me instead of grace btw) hahah

luvpointe7

I was lookinng into Boston Ballet for my senior year of high school, and I was wondering how competitive it is to get into their trainee program? Also what is the age range of students who were in the trainee program in the past year?

dancemaven

Have you checked the website? Here's the link for the trainee program: Trainee Program

With the program limited to 20 students, I'd have to categorize that as "pretty darn competitive". :(