Ballet Talk for Dancers

Age and Talent

Guest Christina_ballerina

Guest Christina_ballerina

Yippee skippee I'm sweet 16!!!! I can post on either board as of 2-day! I'm going to get my license next Monday,I'm so nervous! Well, enough about me. I was wondering how people feel about really young, really talented dancers? There is this girl in my class. When I first met her, I noticed how young she looked. I thought maybe she was just built small, since the ages of the girls I knew in my class ranged from 14-26 years. Well, she is like one of the best dancers in my class, so I was obviously shocked when I found out she was 10 years old!!!!!! We do pointe work in class and know that from a past post that Mrs. Leigh doesn't agree with premature pointe work. I don't either, but this girl seems so mature for her age. She's focused, serious and very good. We do quite a bit of pointe work. Is this dangerous? It seems to go against what I've always believed, that the youngest age for pointe should be 12(I started pointe at age 15). But she does have talent. So even if a girl has everything needed for pointe, should she be stopped from going en pointe because she is too young? What is too young? I guess I'm a little worried because I have a 7 year old sister who has done ballet for 2 years and really loves it, this could be an issue she will have to deal with in years to come. Of all the people I've talked to the age of beginning pointe ranges from 9 to the mid teens.

Christina, the ballerina

Happy Birthday! smile.gif And too young for pointe is anything less than a skeletal age of 11.5 years. Most girls haven't reached that by 11.5 calendar years, so most careful schools will hold off pointe until 12 or 13.

Because the human body is a selfish and wilful thing and refuses to do just about anything that you tell it to do onschedule. I thought you'd noticed by now! wink.gif