Ballet Talk for Dancers

Shaky muscles

Guest Azza_4eva

Guest Azza_4eva

Hi, this isn't a problem that I get all the time it comes and goes but I would love to know if there is anything I can do to stop it.

During adage when I'm holding a lift - either in the centre or at the barre - my legs shake. Its not like an unbalanced shake, its more of a muscle spasm type shake. Any ideas on what causes it and how i can stop it?

Guest clairez5

Hey!

I think that happens when you use one muscle intensely for a longer period of time than you normally do. It happens to me once in a while too, usually at the end of class when I am already tired and I have to hold a certain position, but also sometimes at the barre.

One time in class a girl pointed out that another girl's leg was shaking that way, and my teacher said that it was because she was working. So I guess it isn't all bad. I do agree that it is annoying though.

Guest Azza_4eva

Its true - I do tend to get it more often at the end of a hard class... or during a more difficult barre than I'm used to.

Any suggestions how to stop it?

• Administrators

You're gripping the muscles, using the wrong muscles to hold the leg and probably not maintaining correct placement. Make sure that you are lifting up out of your standing leg, using your abdominal and back muscles and not gripping your quad muscles. They will be contracted, of course, in order to have the leg totally straight, but try to feel the lift from under the leg as much as possible and not from the top of the leg. Could also have to do with trying to take the leg a bit beyond your present capability. Work with your teacher on this.

Hi, I also have the problem of shaking legs when I have to hold a lift. For me it's helps to try to relax my leg and to try to lengthen the leg. I think my leg is shaking because I am too tightened, maybe it's the same thing with you!

Elf