Ballet Talk for Dancers

I failed....

Guest Christina_ballerina

I failed my Cecchetti exam. I know it's not the end of the world, but....I don't know. I guess I saw it coming. I tried soooo hard, and I still failed. I was looking forward to maybe auditioning for a summer intensive, but now I don't really know. I wonder if I really am that bad? Should I still audition for a summer intensive, even if there's a good chance I will not make it? Will I look dumb if I don't pick up on the combonations? I'm totally not sure where to go from here.

Christina, the ballerina

P.S. As I stated before, my teacher never had a student fail an exam. Well, that would make me the first. If failing wasn't bad enough, I'm the lonely failure now.

Christina, the ballerina

• Administrators

Christina, I'm sorry to hear this, but didn't you say somewhere else that you just started studying Cecchetti a few weeks ago? How could you possibly take exams after such a short time? Or do I have it wrong about the amount of time?

Dear Lord. I remember those exams- I started with grade one when I was 10 and finished with grade 5 when I was 13.....I'm now 19 and can't remember for the life of me what I even got on one of them. My point is that in the great scheme of things, they aren't that important. That was two people's opinion, that's it. I remember my teacher always saying that if a student failed, it was her fault for not preparing them properly. I'm not saying you had a bad teacher- probably just an off day. Defiently audition for an SI- there are a million dance professionals out there- these two aren't the be all, end all.

Yes I've only did Cecchetti for 5 or 6 weeks before my exam. I still wanted to take the exam, because I honestly thought I would pass it. I was confident, guess I was wrong. I didn't go to class tonight. I'm still feeling quite depressed. I know I'll get over it... eventually. frown.gif

Christina, the ballerina

• Administrators

Christina, I'm afraid I am at a loss in terms of understanding how your teacher would submit you for exams after only a few weeks of studying this method. You must not be upset by this, as it is an impossible situation. There is no way you should expect to pass a syllabus exam after only 5 or 6 weeks of study in this method! Just blow it off and get on with things. Do your SI auditions and go somewhere wonderful and learn everything you can and have a great time!

Guest hesterlover1

Christina, I'm really sorry...you must feel really bad. frown.gif But I can't imagine only working on an exam for 5 or 6 weeks and passing! Even when you know the steps, it takes a long time for them to get into your body so you are consistent... Don't feel like it's the end of the world. My teacher is an examiner and I've heard countless stories of beautiful dancers who once failed an exam!

PS--Did you get my private message? I'm curious to know if it was my teacher who examined you!

Well I feel much better now. smile.gif I've had nearly a week to recover. We quit working on Cecchetti so that makes it alot easier. We get to do pointe and choreography again, FINALLY! I hated the couple of weeks I had to do without it. I guess I'll always have my good old pointe shoes to look forward to, and choreography. Now I can get back to having fun!!! biggrin.gif

Christina, the ballerina cool.gif