Ballet Talk for Dancers

It's been a long time...

If frappes were the only thing sloppy, I'd say you did fantastically. Good for you!

Unfortunately, I am now past my enthusiasm about how much I am still able to do, and now depressed (not really) about how much has gone by the wayside. That's ballet for you! :D

Have fun!

Good for you for getting back. Frappes improve in time, just be glad you're there.

And to think, you get to be ballet sore all over again :o

I've been reading your thread feeling much the same. I've not been able to get to class for lots of reasons, money, time, etc. In fact, it looks like I won't be able to get to class at all for several more months at least. I'm not looking forward to that day I finally go back because I know I'll be thinking lots of the same thoughts, comparing myself to what I used to be able to do. But I know it will all come back and thats comforting.

I'm swimming in the mornings to keep in shape so hopefully it won't be too painful when I go back.

Here is something I didn't imagine happening any time soon: I may be changing schools soon too.

A school I visited once sent me an invitation to the grand opening open house for their new location. It is a larger 3 studio facility with sprung floors and all sorts of amenities. It is a new building (potential fewer allergy problems for me) and they even have a shower in the bathroom.

The real lure is a beginner level class. The also have 4 adult ballet classes per week and a conditioning class too. My regular school has just two.

I never felt quite right jumping into classes after many years off without a good solid foundation class to remind my brain and body of ....everything. My regular class is no lower than a 3, and higher level depending on who shows up. I can fake it most days but I don't want to be faking it. I do really like my regular teachers so I may be mixing schools??? I do have seven classes left on my current class card.

The new school moved to a location over 30 miles from home and the old one is 26 miles but the hubby actually encouraged me to go check it out today. Now if he will encourage a thrid class???

I picked up the registration form. It has a question about medical conditions and a line to fill in. I think I need to attach and essay or a chart or something with notification that Ballet is a Doctor approved activity for me despite.....all of it.

New teacher.

New people.

It could make for a shy attack.

Laschwen

I picked up the registration form. It has a question about medical conditions and a line to fill in. I think I need to attach and essay or a chart or something

Sorry, but I had to laugh out loud when I read that comment. Your candor reminded me how I felt the first time I confronted it.

Don't worry too much about that form. It's pretty much standard these days so dance studios don't get sued.

Oh yuck. I have to switch studios soon too, as I'm moving back to my hometown. I won't know anyone or even worse, I might! I have no idea who from my past is still living in town and still dancing.

It is a larger 3 studio facility with sprung floors and all sorts of amenities. It is a new building (potential fewer allergy problems for me) and they even have a shower in the bathroom.

The real lure is a beginner level class. The also have 4 adult ballet classes per week and a conditioning class too.

That sounds very enticing! Good luck with whatever you decide to do. :)

Oh wow, I left for the weekend so I haven't had a chance to check up on this thread again. It's great to hear from all of you! Isn't it nice to know that you're not alone in your blissful ballet misery? :thumbsup: Or I might say, my blissful ballet misery.

Laschwen, by all means, go where you will feel happy. At least go check it out. It doesn't mean that your old studio has let you down, just that you may have found something that fits you better. I think your teachers will understand, especially if you can still take one class a week from them.

After just three weeks I'm already having to miss my second class. My 9yr old daughter is having her open house at her elementary school tonight and I really need to go. She said she didn't mind but I hate missing times like that. She's growing up so fast, you know. I'll just have to practice at home and shoot for next week again. Thankfully I'm doing other physical exercise in the meantime, but I'd rather be doing ballet. :wacko:

Hi!

I'll drop you an email as soon as possible, but I just wanted to say a quick CONGRATS!!! :flowers:

I've been away from barre now for 3 months and it seems forever (my body is soooo stiff and aches etc etc) and I'm so looking forward to going back home for a week so I can take some classes! I still haven't found a studio here (everyone is still on holiday), but I'll try my best when I get back.

• 3 weeks later...

Oh yuck. I have to switch studios soon too, as I'm moving back to my hometown. I won't know anyone or even worse, I might!

Now that is funny and a real little worry for some of us.

I can't imagine the thoughts of any of my high school ballet class members if they saw me now. :thumbsup:

I noticed something interesting while at our local college football game last night. I think the world in general seems to be more accepting than it used to be about non-perfect body types getting out there and dancing. There was a girl on the dance team who pretty much has my body oval shape out there having a good old time.

When I was in college there was no way in the world she would have been chosen for something like that. Only the thinnest, prettiest, most popular girls were chosen and it helped if they could move. There was a rather round girl in middle school chosen as a cheerleader and everyone said "Yeah, her father is on the school board." It wasn't kind.

The same kind of thing went on in college. One year there was a whole new dance team created just for Basketball games, because the Athletic Director's daughter wanted to be on a dance team. That was the rumor anyway. She was pretty and skinny but couldn't move in time to the music consistently.

People just shrugged off that kind of stuff.

Now I believe I like the changes that encourage more participation with kids. It doesn't hurt us adults either when we first take our imperfect selves into a new studio in our leos and tights.

Laschwen

Spinbug, welcome back - I've always enjoyed your posts, it's great to hear your voice again!

I don't have much connection to most of this thread, having started very late - I went 10 days after Labor Day without a class, the longest stretch so far.... :blushing:

Wow! Class was so much fun! ... I got to jump again, too! A grown adult giddy like a child because she gets to jump again :rolleyes: .

... but I know that feeling! I'm still annoying friends with my Richmond camp pictures and enthusiasm :rolleyes: I may have to do one of those stupid Christmas letter things for the first time this year, just so I can sneak in a picture.

• 2 weeks later...

Spinbug - you're such an inspiration! :wink: If you can find the time and enjoy so can we all! The little line at the top of my screen is reminding me that I haven't even visited these boards for nearly a year, never mind going to a class! (I had my second daughter in April, so gradually turning back into a person again!)

I'm just starting to think about going back, and dreading all the issues you've mentioned - no flexibility, hopelessly unfit, leos that will make me look like a whale ... so I thought I'd log on here - and there was your post. I'm really glad you're enjoying it, and I hope it all comes flooding back!

Good luck all those thinking of switching studios, too. That's another hurdle I'll have to overcome, as my brilliant teacher has stopped teaching - no money in adult classes around here, it seems.

Spinbug, welcome back - I've always enjoyed your posts, it's great to hear your voice again!

I don't have much connection to most of this thread, having started very late - I went 10 days after Labor Day without a class, the longest stretch so far.... :wink:

Wow! Class was so much fun! ... I got to jump again, too! A grown adult giddy like a child because she gets to jump again :P .

... but I know that feeling! I'm still annoying friends with my Richmond camp pictures and enthusiasm :blink: I may have to do one of those stupid Christmas letter things for the first time this year, just so I can sneak in a picture.

Wow! I guess I'm not being very creative with the expressions here but "wow" is what I thought hearing from you guys again. It's so encouraging! I haven't checked this thread in a while and I'm so tickled to see that it's still alive. I have more to add, too. But, I can't this very moment.

Personally, I'd enjoy getting one of those "goofy" Christmas letters if you have a chance, I absolutely love them and the more pictures, the merrier. You realize, though, that it means you might get one back from me and it might include-gasp!-pictures of my children. I wish the Richmond website had more pictures on it, I always go back and check.

Spinbug - you're such an inspiration! :P If you can find the time and enjoy so can we all! The little line at the top of my screen is reminding me that I haven't even visited these boards for nearly a year, never mind going to a class! (I had my second daughter in April, so gradually turning back into a person again!)

I'm just starting to think about going back, and dreading all the issues you've mentioned - no flexibility, hopelessly unfit, leos that will make me look like a whale ... so I thought I'd log on here - and there was your post. I'm really glad you're enjoying it, and I hope it all comes flooding back!

Good luck all those thinking of switching studios, too. That's another hurdle I'll have to overcome, as my brilliant teacher has stopped teaching - no money in adult classes around here, it seems.

Danceforjoy, your name says it all. If you can be patient with yourself and let things be "less than perfect" while still in the midst of striving for that perfection you'll be experiencing one of the most valuable lessons, in my humble opinion. Being in the game is far more important to me than merely winning the game, figuratively speaking of course. Just dancing is a thrill, isn't it? Especially if nowone is watching, which is never! Ha! I guess you (I) just have to pretend, which is what ballet is all about anyways, right?

I just watched "Shall We Dance?" again, and it spoke to my heart just like it did the first time. I'm always moved to tears when I see that movie because it describes how I feel about dance so well. You may feel ashamed about loving it so much because some small voice tells you that as an adult you really don't know what you're doing and your body isn't anything like those lithe beauties in the studio right next door. But somehow, dancing does something that nothing else in our everyday life does. It gives us a chance to express ourselves, albeit somewhat awkwardly at times. I just love it! And that is a better reason to dance than because I'm good at it. Hopefully in time by loving it and doing it you'll (I'll) become better at it.

Right now I'm humbly reminded by how far I still need to grow. I've decided to move myself out of the advanced class of two,( three when I attend) because they are light years ahead of me. My teacher will let me take whatever class I want. The only problem is that the next class below them is really too easy for me. Those two girls are just very talented. I think I'll be able to make the lower class harder by inserting releves, etc. with the teacher's permission. She's already approved.

I'm so glad I started back to ballet again, my back already feels better and I'm never achy when I get up in the morning. Go figure! It's so true that staying in shape is much easier on your body than letting it go.

Danceforjoy, congratulations on your new baby girl! My 9yr old daughter was born in April and now we share the same birthday! She just decided to be my gift that day and she's fulfilled that promise ever since. She still gets the party instead of me, though :blink:

Hang in there and remember that you can still do ballet around the kitchen counter. And, young children aren't very critical about it. That comes later and my girls think I'm a little off my rocker. Of course, I wouldn't have it any other way!

Candi

• 5 weeks later...
Spinbug - you're such an inspiration! :) If you can find the time and enjoy so can we all! The little line at the top of my screen is reminding me that I haven't even visited these boards for nearly a year, never mind going to a class! (I had my second daughter in April, so gradually turning back into a person again!)

Danceforjoy, you should go back to take class. I think once you go, you'll get hooked again. I agree about your comment on no money in adult classes. I used to teach an adult class at my company/school and we never really knew if it would last. Sometimes many students signing up (but then not always able to attend regularly), or not enough. That was always my favorite class to teach because you that ALL of the students really wanted to be there and there is just a different kind of atmosphere. I really like teaching adults. Good luck to you! :rolleyes:

Edited by brise' vole'