Ballet Talk for Dancers

Middle Split

Ballet Adict

I have been dancing for many years. Over the years I have gotten my left and right side split. But I am still stuggling on getting my middle split perfected. I have always had this problem that whenever I do a middle split I feel pain in my inner thigh. It is a tight pulling and feels like my kneecap is being pulled. I still do stretch it out but when the pain becomes too extreme I have to stop. My teachers think that it is caused by my turnout and since I was blessed with a lot of turnout that it affects the inner thigh pains. Do you know of anything that I can do to stop that pain or any way that I can get my middle split without suffering?

• Administrators

That split involves rotation and stretches the rotation. It has a different focus from the other splits. That said, please keep in mind that all splits are simply a stretching exercise. They are not a critical part of ballet technique, in terms of being able to "get" or "do" them.

When there is pain in a stretch, don't do it. Obviously there is something in that particular position that bothers your inner thigh muscles, and could also irritate the knee. Therefore, don't do it.

It is, however, curious to me that you have a lot of rotation and are still bothered by that position. Does it hurt on anything else you do, like barre stretching or jambe à la main? Or even développé front or side, or maybe grand rond de jambe?

Sometimes whenever I do a développé side or barre stretches that involve having the leg to the side and stretching it there, I feel a stretch but its not painful like when I do my splits.

Edited by Ballet Adict
  • Administrators

Feeling a stretch and pain are two very different things. I think it might be a good idea to be evaluated by a PT who knows dance. They have a way of measuring rotation, and also of figuring out why something is hurting. :P