Ballet Talk for Dancers

"B-Plus" position

Agnes1022

My teacher used "B-Plus" term to describe what I can best describe as an unstretched tendu en arriere. Is there a technical term for "B-Plus", what is the origin of the words "B" "Plus", and what is the correct leg/foot position for it?

The correct term is "attitude à terre." "B-plus" is thought to have originated with Balanchine. The position is basically as you have described, similar to pointe tendue derrière but with the working knee bent so that both knees are touching and the big toe rests on the ground. The foot should be pointed as usual, neither pronated ("winged") or supinated ("sickled"). Both legs are fully turned out. One can stand in attitude à terre croisé, en face, and effacé.

Thanks Hans :( . Each time I see that movement, I'll mentally note its two terms. Interesting that the attitude a terre has a colloquial name. Are there other movements with colloquial equivalents? Just thought I'd be more proactive in learning both proper and slang terms of the same movement :(

Mel Johnson

Anybody speak Labanotation? I have heard that it is notated in a manner that looks like B+, and I know it's not Benesh.

As to colloquialisms, how about the fish, the swallow, and the angel?

In "Bee Ploos" the knees touch. If it is a true "attitude a terre en arriere", would the knees touch?

Mel Johnson

Actually, "flic-flac" is an echoic, mimicking the double crack of a buggy whip. And in my book, unless told otherwise, yes, the thighs are together.

• Administrators
Victoria Leigh

Oy! Let us not go there again! I have been on my soapbox way too many times on those things! :rolleyes:

Oh, and something I learned only recently is there's a proper way to find your B+ position starting from fifth. I'm going to impose on someone wiser (and more rested) than I to give the correct explanation though, as I'd hate to describe it wrong. I just always kind of stood in a semi-B+ for I guess 20 some odd years before being taught the right way.

I'm curious now...

What's the right way???

• Administrators
Victoria Leigh

B+ is as Hans described above. I would only add to be very sure that you are lifted well up on the standing leg and not "resting" the back foot on the floor. The INSIDE of the big toenail is all that should touch the floor! The knees must be closed and both legs well rotated. The shape of the back foot is very important, and it cannot be achieved without being lifted out of the standing leg and very rotated.

You can get to the position by many different means, and I don't really think one is a lot better than another. I like to use the back tendu, and make sure that is placed right first, and then bring the leg in to the B+ position.

You can get to the position by many different means, and I don't really think one is a lot better than another. I like to use the back tendu, and make sure that is placed right first, and then bring the leg in to the B+ position.

That is exactly how I learned it, and it's still how I teach it.

CDR,

I had a teacher once who referred to B+ as "pose." (there should be an accent mark over the "e" but I can't seem to make an accent mark on this computer. :offtopic: )

Dance_Scholar_London
It sounds the same as RAD 'classical pose' - does anyone know if it is?

That is what I was thinking too

Archived