Ballet Talk for Dancers

Arch hurting

Guest Enterprisecdr

Guest Enterprisecdr

For some reason, when I do releve's with the right leg supporting me, my arch starts to hurt/burn/sting. It doesn't happen on my left side and when I am in a two-foot position with both feet, it doesn't hurt. It's really starting to get irritating (and painful) and I'm not quite sure what to do about it. For temporary relief, I rub the arch across the barre base for the free-standing center barres and it does help a little. What might be the problem? Thanks!

-Kat

Kat, that's hard to say without seeing it, but it sounds to me like a slight case of plantar fasciitis, which is an inflammation of the connective tissues on the bottom of the foot. Since it responds well to rubbing, I'd say it wasn't very serious, yet, but if it intensifies, then a two- or three-day rest is in order. In the meantime, keep rubbing, and keep one or two of those instant-cold compresses about, just for relief. If it's terribly painful, then, of course, it's time for the doctor!

• Administrators

Kat, is this happening on demi pointe or pointe, or both? It is probably what Major Johnson said, something to do with the plantar fascia, however I was wondering if it might be caused by either a broken shank in your pointe shoe, or by a 3/4 or 1/2 shank that is breaking in the wrong place for your foot? Just a thought, and it might not be that at all. If it's not, have your teacher watch you carefully as you do relevés on one foot and see if you are not getting up correctly, maybe pushing down into the shoe too much and using your foot only for strength instead of the strength of the whole body and leg. Even something like weakness in the abs and back muscles can cause strain in the feet when they take too much of the work.

Guest Enterprisecdr

It's not too terribly painful, but it does hurt a little bit more when I am en pointe. But I do use a full shank in all pointe shoes that I wear. The 3/4 and 1/2 shanks just don't work for me at all. Thanks for you advice, I'll ask my teacher about it!

-Kat

• 2 weeks later...
Guest pkturn

Hi Kat! I just recovered from a plantar fascial strain, and it kinda sounds like what you have...heeheehee, but I'm certainly no doctor. But please get a professional check you out b/c if it is plantar fascial problems REST before it has the chance to get as bad as mine did....please....

Guest Enterprisecdr

Sorry about not posting in a long time...I've been at Space Camp all week so I've really gotten behind in all of my stuff. Anyways, I checked with my teacher and my doc. My doc said that it isn't Plantar Facitis, it's just the stuff down there refusing to move. he also said that I have a little bit of callus there and that's probably what's causing it to ache. Thanks for everyone's input!

-Kat:p