Ballet Talk for Dancers

doing weights..

Guest patti_r

Guest patti_r

Hi

I'm really sorry if this question has already been asked. I used to do weights before starting ballet and I really liked it and the results I got. I was wondering if I could continue doing them without any bad results for ballet? If I stretch my muscles out after doing weights, will it help them not to be stiff and bulky? Also, what about running? I used to do that, too, and I want to do it again. I used to go about 3 times a week for about 30 minutes.

I take only 1 ballet class a week (but I really want to do more), so it's not like I have a career in ballet to worry about risking. smile.gif

Thank-you so much.

• Administrators

If you are not aiming for a career in ballet, and since you are only taking one class a week, then I don't think that any of the other activities are a problem if you enjoy doing them and feel that you benefit from them.

Guest pointe

Proper weight training is beneficial, in the long run. One thing I know that ladies don't bulk up easily, as we don't have sufficient male hormones to make us look like body builders.

Weight training improves the muscle tone and overall fitness, if done properly. Couple with other activities like swimming, cycling, and running would probably provide you with the strength and stamina for your ballet class, as well as helps maintain your energy for daily routine to school/college and social activities. Keep up the good work! wink.gif

~pointe~

HOWEVER, let me jump in here with a word or two about weight training, whether for men or women, dancers or ordinary mortals. You should go into a weights program with a definite idea of what you want to look like and what you don't at the very outset, and explain your "vision" to your trainer. That way, a program can be tailored for you and a successful result made more likely.

Left to themselves, trainers will tend to "bulk up" weights students, and that's not always desirable. Women, although they lack the male hormones to make big muscles, can still build some pretty powerful-looking bulges, and that may not be what the woman student wants.

Another thing, never, ever, work without a trainer when doing weights, especially at the outset. Not only is there a safety factor involved, but there's also this: would you take a beginning ballet class from an instructor who just showed the exercise and then walked away, leaving you to reproduce the movement all alone? Not likely!

Guest patti_r

Hi

Thank-you so much for replying so quick! Thanks for all the advice. I had heard before about how "dangerous" it was for people in ballet to do weights or run, so I was just curious. Yeah, I have had a trainer for the weights and I have learned a lot about how to do them correctly. I only use 3-5 pound weights. Also, in my Pilates book, there is a section for using 1 pound weights. I just want to build a stronger upperbody and get some muscle tone because I really liked having it before. =)

Thanks!

bye for now